Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Thank you, Phil Capelle!

I have attributed my vast knowledge of 8-ball to one book, one person, Phil Capelle, who has authored many books, but it's his Play Your Best Pool 8-ball section that has resonated with me most.

So, imagine my surprise when I saw this post about little 'ole me on Facebook!

"Congratulations to Melinda Bailey for winning the women's open singles competition at the BCA Texas State 8-Ball Tournament. Melinda and her partner are also in the finals of the Scotch Doubles on Sunday. Melinda has been my webmaster for billiardspress.com since its inception, so her win is especially sweet!!"

I was SO touched!!  

I shared his post and wrote:  

"I can't even begin to describe how much this means to me. I read the 8 ball section of Philip Capelle's "Play Your Best Pool" book twice before coming to this event to get ready.  So to get a shout out from the author who helped me with my 8 ball game all these years means SO MUCH to me. Thank you, Phil!"

 (Click to enlarge)

Phil and I have been friends for many years.  I am his webmaster, but we are friends first.  And he genuinely cares about me and my game.

I have turned to him several times in pool, and in life.  Once with how to handle embarrassment when yu play pool (focus on your pre-shot routine and fundamentals), for tips on 8-ball (I don't need to repeat this), straight pool tips, and even sometimes leaning on him and getting advice about life - like when my mom passed.

I feel like we have been on this journey together.  Thank you for your unimaginable support, Phil!
 

No comments: