Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Checklist. Check!

While I was reviewing my notes, highlighted sections, and tabbed pages in Winning Ugly to prepare for the 2014 BCAPL Texas State 8-Ball Championships., I decided I wanted to jot some notes down from the book so I could easily review them later.

I have made checklists before, and I really like being able to review things easily at my fingertips.  I can't really carry Winning Ugly around and flip through 30 pages that I tabbed, lol.

So, I wrote some key things down.

This list was different than my usual ones.  It didn't really list reminders I came up with for myself, but instead listed things I wanted to remember from that book.  So, these were more "killer instinct" mental reminders, than "pool" reminders.

I also tabbed the BOTTOM of the pages for what I needed to remember for this particular tourney, too.  I didn't want to re-read every single highlighted section for a 3rd time, but wanted to re-read the most important parts for my mental game for this tournament.

And there I was at Texas Roadhouse at 4pm on Thursday, right when it opened, in Temple, Texas, reading my notes, and reading my bottom-tabbed pages of my fav mental book.  A little refresher for me, if you will.

Why was I doing this?  I have only *touched* on it in my blog, but I found myself in the finals of the Women's Division of the 2014 BCAPL Texas State 8-Ball Championships!  My first time ever!

So, I was relaxing with a good meal, a margarita (match was scheduled for 7:30pm) and took my sweet time as I had a few hours til hit balls.

I sat there peaceful, although missing my boyfriend, peaceful and quiet and re-reading my notes.  Preparing myself mentally.


I have mentioned before I have written notes.  I am a firm believer in it, but I admit I haven't written any in some time I don't think.  I just knew because I hadn't been competing or hitting balls, I kinda needed to do this to help me.

I took my notes into the convention center and sat them next to my pool case as I slid out my cue to hit some balls.  Usually I hide my notes.  I think in the past I felt like people would judge me for needing help.

Well, not today!  I NEEDED the help and I honestly didn't care who saw I had notes.

A couple of people asked me if they could read them.  I said sure.

I even walked by my "mental coach," Joe Salazar, and shared it with him.  He reminded me I didn't have a very important one written down, "Don't look at the crowd."  Ooooh!  I added that to the bottom of the list right away. 

Tracie and Angela finally finished their hill-hill match and I went to wash my hands.  I took my notes in there with me.  I sat them next to the counter and was reading them as I was washing my hands.  A girl comes out of the stall and looks at me funny, seeing me hunched over reading something over the counter.

I don't care.

I didn't care who saw I was reading notes.

At the end of the day, I sit the notes down on the desk in my hotel room and my roommate and teammate, Janet, asked if she could read them.  "Sure," I said.

I didn't really realize how many people would WANT to read preparation notes.  I'm glad I wasn't shy and kept them visible because a lot of people seemed to really appreciate reading them.  Maybe it will help them in competition, too.

Here is a close up, you can click the photo to enlarge.  Please do not make fun of me about my horrible handwriting, tho!  lol.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the checklist. I bought and read "Winning Ugly" awhile back when you mentioned it maybe a year ago. If you buy it from the author, then he will sign it. Great book!!

I use S-Note on my phone instead of pen and paper. I use text, handwriting, diagrams and even pictures for inspiration and reminders. My goals have a picture of my trophies as a reminder for instance. My notes on fundamentals has a picture of a mountain and a river. Perhaps I have watched too many kung fu movies, but I like the sound of my notes sounding like fortune cookie philosophy (ex., be still like mountain and let arm flow like river). The movie "Bulletproof Monk" has another one I like, "It is not about power, but about grace".

10-Minute Toughness by Jason Selk is a great book for something similar to your checklist. Though he advises that you shouldn't use words such as "no" and "not". It is better to use positive messages.

Using S-Note you can always edit and improve the language for the next event. Such as "Do not relax" I am not fond of, as a relaxed arm and posture usually provides a better stroke. The result base "Beat them 5-0!" may be a let down if you lose the lag, and drop a game to a break and run. "Put pressure on at all times!" is great!

The 10-MT also suggests adding 5 highlights and 5 elevated pressure highlights of your career to the checklist along with your ideal arousal state for competition.