Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Am I the Only One?

Today I am curious (okay, a lot of days I am curious, lol). But today I am curious if I am the only one. I haven't taken an official poll of all my female friends, but most of my female friends want to play on the pro tour (the WPBA) and/or want to become a pro player.

The Regional Tour Championships (RTC) location and date are finally set. I am eligible to go b/c I am ranked 9th on the OB Cues Ladies Tour. Out of 64 players, if I finish in the top 9 at the RTC, I will get a spot on the WPBA tour next year.

However, I am not interested. I would only be going to the RTC to support my friends. If I happened to luck out to get in the top 9, I suppose I would go to the pro events, but why? I would be taking a spot of someone that REALLY wants a spot.

I truly wonder if I am one of the few female players out there who love pool so much that it is an integral part of their lives, but yet doesn't want to be a pro or even play on the pro tour? Pool is a passion for me, yet I don't want to be a pro. Isn't that kinda weird?
Curious cat, compliments of art.com

6 comments:

Samm said...

You're not alone.

My pool goals are based on my abilities and performances, NOT by whether or not I have the four letters "WPBA" attached to my title. Yes, it's a huge accomplishment to make it on tour and if that's part of my journey then so be it, but it does not solely define who I am as a player.

I hate the fact that society constantly wants to ask, "When am I going to see you on TV?" If it happens, great! If it doesn't, I will still be who I am.

I love your passion!

Shayla said...

You aren't the only one. I don't really have any desire to play on the WPBA. I played in one tournament which cured my curiosity. I do, however, look forward to the RTC because of two reasons: 1) Finally get to play a whole slew of different players than I'm used to playing on the OB tour and 2) I like to see how I match up against some of the other top amateur players in the country.

If for whatever reason, I placed high enough to win a WPBA spot, I would, without a doubt, pass it up to the next person in line. I wouldn't even bother going. That isn't necessarily taking someone's spot, because I earned my spot to the RTC.

Melinda said...

Thank you both, sincerely, for your comments about this. I feel a bit normal now because I'm not the only one. :)

Anonymous said...

i wrote something related to this. feel free to read it if you like.

Melinda said...

I liked your article, poolriah. Your points resonated with me. Thank you for the link!

R Riley said...

Loved poolriah's article and LOVED samm's comment too.. I usually don't discuss pool or its journey with non-pool players for that simple fact. They always ask.. did you win, when are you going to be on Tv, and so on.. In everyone else's minds its almost as if your pool personality is based on winning and losing, and that is a little bit "glass half empty" if you ask me.