Sunday, February 16, 2014

Tough Decision

I've decided to quit my Thursday Night Ladies League.

Wasn't an easy decision.  I spent a few weeks debating about it, then after the last few Thursday nights, it became clearer I need to move on. 

Our team will still be together for BCA State and ACS Nationals, tho!!  But when the new session starts in April or May, I wont be joining them.

I told my teammates on Thursday night.  Even THAT was tough.  But each one hugged me and said they understood, and they could tell it wasn't an easy decision.

I have won BCA Nationals with a Women's Team and BCA State with a Women's Team, and my team on Thursdays has won league playoffs twice and we have been the top team in the standings for the last three seasons.

As one of my teammates told me last night after I confided I was taking a break:  "It's time to focus on your individual goals."

Yep, it is.

As tough as it is for me to depart, I need to focus on ME.  I want to step away from the SMOKE and the drinking and the drama and selfishness and the disagreements and the lack of team spirit I see at times.  What used to be fun is no longer the case.

So, time to surround myself with activities and people that will help me, not agitate me. 

My boyfriend keeps reminding me I need to challenge myself more and in order to do that, I need to work on ME first, then put myself in tougher situations in pool.

So, although it wasn't an easy decision, I'm already looking forward to one less night of league each week!  More time for moi!  More time to work on me.... my game..... and my life! 



2 comments:

markfed said...

If you have higher aspirations for your game and believe you have the talent to take it to another level, then you should give it a try.
I myself play pool casually and am OK at it. My thing is golf. I'm very good at that. I was good enough to be a New England PGA pro for 15 years.
But I spent most of my time working 60-70 hrs/wk, and never really took the time to see how good I really was or could be.
Now, I'm in my mid 50's, and no longer in the PGA. I play much more now than I ever did then, and am just now realizing that I might have had the talent to take it to another level.
I love the game and I'd love the life on tour if I was on tour. Being in my mid 50's, it's a little late, but in the back of my mind, I'll always wonder.
So if you can do it, you should. Give it all you got, and you'll never have to wonder.

Melinda said...

I'm glad you still play a lot of golf! My individual goals are only on the amateur level but they are still mighty to me, you are right. Thank you for the comments and continue to enjoy golf and pool!