Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Supporting Can Have Reverse Consequences

A few of my friends entered their first EVER OB Cues Ladies Tour event over the weekend.

I was so proud of them - it's one of the hardest things to do is enter a big tournament for the first time.  Nerves are tested, heart rate increases, you think everyone is watching you, you feel like a fish out of water.  It's not easy!  Expectations are high and sometimes they get stepped on because we lose from nerves, not from our talent.

I watched a few of the games of these three players over the weekend.

And then I walked away.

I wanted to watch them so badly for their whole match and show my support, but I also didn't want to mess them up by me watching. 

I recalled how sometimes in the past, I have wanted to perform well for others and I faltered instead.  I thought too much about who was watching, instead of playing pool.  I have heard this also from many friends.

Now I can handle anyone watching, but I admit it took YEARS and YEARS. 

So, I wanted to give them their best chance, and so I walked away. 

I did give them some advice before each match (have fun! and high-fived them).  But when it came to watching, I didn't stay long even though I really wanted to see how they were doing!

I would find out later their scores and how they did, but I recognize to let them play pool and give them their space.

I'm so proud of my friends for playing! 


No comments: