Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'll Take a Shot of Scotch

I think quite differently than most peeps when it comes to preparing for scotch doubles 8-ball tournaments. Most people practice with their scotch doubles partner, right? Well, I don't.

8Ball is a beautiful game - break outs, nudges, safety play, run outs, carom shots, etc. In my crazy-a$$ mind, I truly believe if you both already know 8ball well, why do you need to practice together?

This doesn't mean I do NOT prepare for 8ball, though! On the contrary, I meet up with one the top 8ball players in my city for 8ball learning sessions before big 8ball events. We go over every shot in detail, every decision, and why. I love it!

Many players in the Open Scotch Doubles blame their poor showing on: "my partner and I didn't get to practice enough." I proudly reply (which may be rude, but it isn't my intention), "we didn't practice at all" as we cash in our check.

I realize there are many reason TO practice together - know each others patterns, figure out if there are shots they prefer or dislike, get a little team spirit built up, etc. So, I'm not discounting it for others - this is just a little quirk I have about Scotch Doubles I thought I would share today with you.

In 2007, I played Scotch doubles with Royce Bunnell (one of the owners of OB Cues). My only stipulation to him was, "Royce, I don't practice with my scotch doubles partner." He looked at me funny (well, he does that a lot) and he replied, "well, okay, then."

So, before we go to the 2007 and 2008 BCAPL Nationals, we never hit balls together - not even against each other at any point during the entire year. When we arrive in Vegas, we play literally only four (4) games in 2007 and two (2) games in 2008 the night before the tourney starts to get used to the table, but we didn't discuss shots at all - we were mostly warming up. In 2007 we placed 5th out of like 400 teams!! Wow! In 2008 we placed 4th out of almost 415 teams!

Royce and I played well together for two main reasons - he made me laugh which kept me comfortable, and he knew 8ball well. :)

I will not be able to play with Royce this year in the Open Scotch Doubles because I played in a different league last season. :( One of the top players in my new league could not play in the Open Scotch Doubles with me this year b/c of his job so I looked into a couple of already-master players who could possibly play with me in the Masters Scotch division. The BCAPL has the COOL new rule that you can play in Master Scotch Doubles with anyone from your STATE as long as one of you has played 8 weeks of league play.

This year will be no different when it comes to practice, though. My new scotch doubles partner (Sylver Ochoa) also lives in a different city like Royce did, and Sylver knows 8ball very well already, but I will not practice with him and instead practice with the top player in my own city.

Tougher competition in the Masters Scotch division - but I'm up for the challenge and welcome the opportunity! But, my fingers will still be crossed, lol.

2 comments:

poolminnow said...

Thanks for posting this. My scotch partner and I haven't been able to practice, and I was wondering, if in some ways that might be better.

When I watch good scotch doubles teams, I assume that they've played a lot together. But I think what I'm seeing is that they naturally have good chemistry, they trust each other, and each player trusts him/herself. I think players that worry too much about doing something different for the sake of their partner, tend to screw up.

Nothing says trust like "No need to practice."

Good luck. Bet it will be a ton of fun to play scotch doubles with Sylver Ochoa.

Melinda said...

Hi poolminnow - glad I could help, and you have given me ideas for two more entries about this topic! :)

Good luck to you, also, and thank you for commenting.