Thursday, May 26, 2011

Nine Ball Singles in Vegas 2011

Here I go - the first blog entry about my 2011 trip to BCAPL Nationals! Instead of one long blog entry, though, I will do one a day until I'm finished with the updates (yep,  I took notes for blog topics!).  Hope separate blog entries are okay instead of one super long one that would bore you to tears and put you to sleep.  ;)


The first event I played in this year at the 2011 BCAPL Nationals was a new event. It was a new 9ball tournament! It was very different than the 9 ball challenge. Instead of playing against pros in that event, this was an open division (no masters allowed) and it had separate divisions for men and women, so I was all over that! No pros, no masters, not playing against males - it was a dream come true!  lol.  So I made my reservation to fly in a day earlier than normal and was set to play!

Only thing was....my 9pm flight was delayed two hours. I had a 9am match and didn't get to my room until 130am, plus unpacking and trying to sleep after a long night out the previous night in Texas meant for a very tired woman.

I still woke up in a good mood, happy to be around all the beautiful Diamond tables in my favorite city and in my favorite event of the year.




The 9Ball singles event was best out of 3 sets, race to 4 each set.  Now I understood why each match had a two-hour window to play!

First match, I played one of the toughest players in the tourney (I know her from Texas), while around me girls were missing like crazy! The table was faster than I remembered and I struggled the first set and lost 4-2. Then I won the second set 4-0! I was happy to recover. :)  The next set went her way tho and even tho I had a chance to tie the third (and final, tiebreaker) set 3-3, I accidentally hooked myself on the 9 ball for the 8ball ( O M G ) and lost the final set 2-4.

So I tiredly walked to the charts to see when I play next. And I was STUNNED!! There was no one-loss side!

WTF?!

I was standing there in disbelief, when a friend came up and I asked him, "uh.... is this single elimination?"

And he replied, "you didn't know that?" And he kinda laughed at me, which I don't blame him.

I was in utter shock. Still am as I type this almost two weeks later.

I was a little upset I lost, but now? NOW I was livid!

I put my cue up in my room and proceeded to my favorite table game Let It Ride and had a few 7 and 7s before getting a good nights sleep so I could be ready to play scotch doubles all day on Friday.

I was really disappointed I took an extra day off from work, had to pay an extra hotel night, with a delayed flight late at night for a dang single elimination tournament.

I wont be doing that again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weird how they decided to use SBE-style format for 9-ball. Maybe they couldn't get the extra time for double-elim this year. Anywho, glad you had fun in Vegas & hope your mom is doing better.