Thursday, January 14, 2010

Paul Blank Made Me Cry

Well, I'm a chick and once again I cried. This time (lol) it happened in Round Rock, Texas at the Texas Open at G Cue Billiards, Sept 2009.

Paul Blank announced after many years of running the Fast Eddies Tour he was stepping down. Paul and Lewis Jones ran the tour together since 2002 and they also ran large independent tournaments across Texas.

I knew what Paul was going through - I had just recently stepped down from running the OB Cues Ladies Tour. It may seem like it should be easy to stop doing something, but IT IS NOT. It's one of the most difficult things to decide to do, and then to actually do it is even tougher!

When it was announced by Lewis before play started that Sunday, I was sitting down and I started to tear up as I immediately looked around the poolroom for Paul. Lewis thanked Paul for his many great years of unselfish service and it was a very nice speech about Paul.

Paul and Lewis, working hard at a Fast Eddie's event!

I climbed over the seats and walked directly to the tournament charts where Paul was working (of course!) and I hugged him real hard. I started to cry and whispered in his ear how proud of him I was, because I knew it wasn't an easy decision for him. He looked at me funny (well, he always does) and sincerely thanked me.

Chen, Paul and Junior. Paul at work!

Paul and Lewis made a really great team and complemented each other well. The Fast Eddie's Tour will go on (lucky for all of us pool addicts!) and Lewis will do a great job.

Paul has been on the pool scene for years and I have known him since my Galaxy days in San Antonio in the early 90s. He ran great events, didn't take any crap, and handled situations well. He is a damn good Tournament Director! Did I mention he plays good pool, too?!

His TD skills will be missed, but I will also miss seeing my friend at so many tournaments throughout the year.

Paul posing with me in Vegas. His g/f loves cowboys so he surprised her with the hat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who is paul blank? is he related to paul frank?

Melinda said...

I doubt it, lol!