Saturday, July 25, 2009

Biggest Pool-Related Decision (so far) of My Life

The mission of the OB Cues Ladies Tour (and Hunter Classics Tour) has always been

"to provide
a competitive regional tour
for all levels of
amateur lady pool players."


But my own personal mission that drove me as a board member and tournament director was always:

"to provide
an atmosphere
where women
could achieve
their pool dreams."

That became my passion: providing a good tour so the players could reach their dreams. Whether the dream was...
  • winning a tournament,
  • one match,
  • an award,
  • playing with the pros,
  • becoming a pro, or
  • attending as many stops as they could,
I wanted to provide an atmosphere for the players to do that. As the media contact, webmaster and photographer of the tour along with being one of the Tournament Directors, I wanted to provide an enjoyable experience before, after and during the tournaments for the players to be able to strive for their pool dreams.

That's why in mid June it was a shock even to myself that I had decided in my heart I needed to step down from the board. I have been a board member for 9 years and this was not an easy decision for me at all. But, I want to dedicate more quality time right now with my Mom and in order to do that, I need to step away from duties behind the scenes of the tour.

I deeply struggled with the realization of my decision for weeks and weeks; spent many hours talking to friends and colleagues about the decision. For anyone that has stopped one of their passions, you understand the inner struggle.

As the next event approached, I had mixed emotions about the announcement that would be made about my stepping down. However, the week before the tournament, my Mom became very ill and I had to admit her to the hospital. She would stay in the hospital for over a week due to heart and lung problems and my decision (and the announcement) was no longer a worry - my mind and heart were where it needed to be - with my Mom. I was not able to attend that tournament, but follow my friends on the online brackets!

The best part so far of my OWN pool career has been seeing the players reach their pool dreams, and helping the fans of the tour watch that happen. I have gained many valuable learning experiences being a board member but what I will cherish most is being able to provide an atmosphere where the players could reach their own pool goals.

I will miss being a part of the board, but I will still be a part of the BEST Tour Family!

1 comment:

Samm said...

What you have done for the Hunter / OB Cues Tour has not gone unnoticed. Thank you for all the heart and soul that you have put into "our" tour and helping to make it the longest running, most successful, most fun (for sure), and my personal favorite ladies regional tour today.

You will be remembered for all your hard work and efforts. I stand by you and your decision.

Luv ya!