Saturday, May 31, 2014

8 Ball Singles Event at 2014 ACS Nationals

As I woke up on Monday morning, I was for the first time a National Champion.  I had just won the night before the ACS Nationals Women's 9-Ball Singles event.

To say I was on cloud nine was an understatement.  But, my trip wasn't over yet, and in reality, had just begun.  I still had 8-ball singles, 9-ball women's teams, and 8-ball women's teams to play.

My first Women's 8-Ball Advanced Singles match was at noon. Because I'm still on Texas time, I get up real early again.  I had so much time before I played, that I walked the entire way from Harrah's to the Tropicana (a full 45 minute crisp walk), with enough time to rest and cool-off an hour before my match started.

My view, walking the strip that morning.

I wrote already how in my very first match, my opponent might have psyched herself out accidentally, by asking me questions.  I won that match 7-2.  I thought I felt pretty good, even though the race to 7 is tough and daunting.

The Advanced women's division race to 7 (we are all ACS Master and ACS Advanced players).  I have to admit, I was SPENT already.  I used a lot of mental energy playing in the 9-Ball singles event and I didn't know just how mentally tired I really was until my second match.

Next, I played a girl I recognized, but not sure from where.  I could tell I was the better player, but I didn't play well anymore for some reason.  I was missing kinda easy shots that I was nailing the day before.  And I admit, she would get out from nowhere and I definitely second guessed her ability.  But, I was so mentally taxed, I didn't put up a fight.  I tried, but I just could barely function.  It was brutal.

I guess this is what Joe Salazar was talking about.  Physical and Mental exhaustion are for sure two different things.

Kinda remind me of a couple of examples.  When you are hungover, you can still play pool for some reason right?  Obviously not as well if you were well-rested, but still function-able.  But when we mental exhaustion is tougher to overcome.

I was mentally exhausted from the long weekend to even make simply shots and safes.  I was drained!

Before I even lost that match, I decided to not even stick around to play my next match.  Yep.  I forfeited.  Yep.  Me.

I was disappointed I even thought of it.  But, my next match wasn't until 6pm.  If I won that, then 8pm. Then come back the next day.  I didn't think I could overcome my mental exhaustion in 3 hours anyway, and I honestly would rather rest up for a day and a half to be very well-prepared and well-rested for my women's team event that would be 3-days long.  Plus, they depended on me and I wanted to be in tip-top shape for them - not mentally or physically exhausted.  Resting up meant more to me than trying to race to 7 in 8-ball.  DANG that's a long freaking race!

I honestly don't think I can give my all to both events.  It's just mentally tough.  It may not seem like a lot, but 4 full days of constant competition really is.  Not a lot of breaks.  And long, tough races.

Not sure if I will do this next year.




No comments: