Sunday, October 27, 2013

What is Practice?

I have wondered like the rest of you who really practices and who doesn't.

We hear all the time that pros practice hours upon hours upon hours.

Then we might hear in reality, they don't.  They just "say that" for the interviews.

However, I know some pros that really do practice and others I know only say they do, so both are true, lol.  I've heard both my whole life.

I have a good friend who NEVER practices (I know this for a fact) and she is a top player in Texas (lucky beeeatch lol). 

Everyone is different. 

But I found it very interesting when a top gambler in the area told me he never practices.  I told him he was full of it, then he shared his story.

Thought I'd share with you.  :)

He said that he doesn't practice because he gets enough table time in by gambling.  Oh, and playing some tournaments.

I was like, REALLY? (in my sarcastic voice, head a little tilted)

He said he even lived with about 4 other pool players a couple of years ago in a house that had a 9 foot table and he never practiced on the tab;e.  They would ask him to hit balls with him all the time.  He ALWAYS turned them down.

ALWAYS.

They would finally get fed up with him, and offer to play cheap sets.

Which of course he would.

And he would win.

Every time.

Now, the roommates would win also because the would be sparring and learning from a player better than them!  But he would win their money, lol.

He said they would beg him to play for hours, but he never gave in.... until.... they put money on the line.

THAT was his practice while he lived in a house with a pool table.

Gambling.  Tournaments.  Only.  Never hitting balls alone for hours.

Now, he hits balls a little the morning before tourneys and gambling matches, but he doesn't hit balls for hours upon hours.

However, some other players HAVE to hit balls for hours to warm up.  Another top gambler in the area has to hit balls for hours by himself to feel comfortable about his game and in top form. 

I like it when people do what they need to do to be prepared.  Whatever works for them!

Everyone is different. 

Everyone has their own way of staying in stroke or getting in stroke.

And I like that!


No comments: