Friday, July 29, 2011

Slow Play...

I recently came across two instances of slow play.  Check these out:

SLOW PLAY ONE:

I played my second straight pool match of the Summer/Fall season last Friday (July 22).

I was up against a new guy, so I had no idea how we would do sparring against each other. With my season starting off with a loss, I yearned for a win, I admit.

He told me right away he used to play straight pool about 15 yeas ago, so he knew the game at least.  When he practiced and hit a few balls with his black-wearing glove, he missed by almost a full diamond.  I was like, "hmmm...."

[I will at this point start to call him Turtle #2]. 

When we started the match, he wasn't missing like he did when he warmed up.  But I got side tracked.  Not by the glove, not by hist shots, not by distractions, but how long he took to hit each ball.  I was down -2 to 17 right off the bat, which didn't help, but he took so many strokes EACH ball, I seriously wondered how I would manage the race to 100!

At one point, I counted how many strokes Turtle #2 took.  15.  FIFTEEN.  I was in shock, sitting there watching him run a few balls, 15 strokes at a time, to get ahead 25-45.  I'm down 20 points??  OMG....

Then I'm down 26-56.  Down 30 points I finally just give in.  I'm not playing all that good anyway, and I just accept the fact I'm going to be 0-2 the start of the season.  :(

So, I loosened up, had a few drinks, and decided not to go for shots if they were risky (like I had earlier in the set).  Next thing you know, I kinda catch up.  55-69.  Still losing, but catching up.  I have an 11 ball run to actually go ahead 72-70.  Wow! 

Then I saw him do what I normally do - he fell apart.  The pressure of me tying the game got to him (I'm guessing).  I even called two fouls on myself (touched a ball he didn't see and double kissed a ball only the shooter can feel) and was still ahead all of a sudden.  [this is an all-foul league]

I admit I talked more from the drinks, went to pee more than normal (I hadn't had dinner yet) and so going on almost 3 1/2 hours I was probably annoying him and THEN I passed him up.  All pure speculation on my part.  But I end up winning 100-86 somehow!  (almost exactly 4 hours later)

Everyone in the pool room noticed how slow he played.  I was surprised how many noticed, so I guess it was obvious to them, too. I kinda feel sorry for (1) him - because people were kinda making fun of him from afar, and (2) his opponents - because they wont be happy how long the race to 100 will take if he gets to the table a lot (I know it annoyed me and I had to really try hard not to let it bother me).


SLOW PLAY TWO:
Two days later one of my straight pool league mates (The Talker) tells me he already played the "recognized" slow player in our league (Turtle #1) about a week ago.  This slow guy is not the same as the guy I mention above.  One has been on the season for while, and the one above is new to the league.

Turtle #1 has been known to annoy his opponents because he takes a while to make his decisions and shoots a little slow (not 15 strokes, just kinda slow).  Plus, he plays a lot of safes.  While the match may go slow, I don't mind because it's part of the game to play defensively.  And, that's just the way he plays.

However, I was stunned what The Talker told me!  He told me he told Turtle #1 he wasn't going to put up with him playing slow and playing a lot of safes.  He actually TOLD the guy to go for shots instead of playing safe (like break out shots he thinks he might miss and leave a wide open table). 

The Talker told me he already told the League Director he would forfeit if he played slow and didn't take chances.  He said, "our matches shouldn't take 3-4 hours."

I was stunned.  Really??  You're gonna make the guy get out of his element?  Shoot more aggressive so YOU don't have a long match?  What I see is The Turtle wants to win and he's giving himself the best chance by playing defensively (he had a great season last Spring, too).

I am still shocked as I type this. 

I personally think the guy was out of line telling him to change his game and almost implying the league isn't important (imo) b/c he should go for shots and take risks.  Huh?  If you don't feel comfy, play safe.  Lock them up.  That wins games!

Ironically, The Turtle beat The Talker anyway. 

2 comments:

matthew said...

The question to consider is at what point are you taking someone out of their game? In the case of the Talker/Turtle #1, it's obvious. The Talker is demanding the guy change his entire approach/strategy just to suit himself. With Turtle #2, 15 strokes is definitely excessive but that seems to be his game so can you legitimately ask him to speed up?

In the best case, you can pull Turtle #2 aside and polity point out that his slow play is getting impolite attention and he should try to speed up both for himself and the other players.

-matthew

Melinda said...

I agree, Matthew. Completely. The Talker is being selfish. If I see Turtle #2 again, maybe I will say that to him. Good advice.

Thank you for the comments!