Saturday, November 13, 2010

I Offended Again

Thursday was Veteran's Day and since my job is with the government, it was a Federal Holiday for us. Little 'ole me had the day off! :)

After visiting Mom in the hospital, I decided to get some things accomplished and finally got my brakes worked on. Well, the brake place just happened to be a block and a half from the sister pool room I normally practice at. I just also happened to have my pool cue with me. :)

After the response of, "it could take 2-4 hours" from the man in the green work clothes at the brake place, I grabbed my cue, walked down the street, and voila! - during the afternoon of this fine day, a 9foot table was open for me!

Four of the other five 9foot tables were taken and although I only knew the guys working there, I hardly knew anyone else that day since it's not my normal "hang out."

I practiced 10ball by myself for about 45 minutes when the inevitable happened: Someone approached me to practice.

After I cleared the rack, I walked to the end of the table to set the balls out from the ball-return Gold Crown when I hear a voice behind me:

"Hi there"

"Oh, hey."

"You playing ten ball?"

(duh)

"Um, yes."

"Do you want me to hit balls with you?"

"Nah, no thanks" I reply as I'm just about finished racking for my break.

"Oh, okay."

He turns his back on me, slinks away, and mutters "I can play, ya know."

OMG, really?

Why get offended when someone doesn't want to practice? Seriously. I was practicing by myself for 45 minutes just fine.

Did I look like I needed to play someone? no.

Did I look over at him like I wanted him to practice with me? no.

Was I rude when I said I didn't want to practice with him? no.

Could I have explained I always practice alone so his little feelings didn't get hurt. sure.

"I can play, ya know."

WOW.

1 comment:

Dagwoodz said...

I wouldn't worry about it Mel. If the guy really can "play", then he knows that solitary practice is a necessary thing. If you telling him "no thanks" was insulting to him, then I would venture to guess it's not someone you would want to practice with anyways. Congrats on the invite btw! even though you can't attend...just shows your hard work is paying off!