Saturday, January 21, 2012

Vegas 2012 Scotch Doubles

So, about a month ago I found out my boyfriend can't go to Vegas because of his job.  I was extremely disappointed because we play scotch doubles REALLY well together and we were looking forward to placing well (or winning) the BCAPL Scotch Doubles Open tourney in May).  :(

On the bright side, we found out early enough for me to be able to look for another partner in time.

A friend of mine who plays 8ball like I do and also plays very smart, would make a great partner and also we get along really well, but he and his wife aren't sure they are going to Vegas.

So, one day at league, as I mentioned in another blog entry, I asked one of the top shooters if he would like to play with me, if he goes to Vegas (I didn't know if he did or not).  He said yes that day.

Then I called him a couple of weeks later to let him know that sure enough my b/f can't go to Vegas and would he still be interested.

He said he would love to.

A month goes by and I wonder to myself, "Does he really go to Vegas?  Is this a for sure thing?"  Due to the holidays and the league schedule, I haven't run into him.

And I don't really know the guy too well - only even seen him a few times - but since he has like 20 break and runs and is the top shooter in this large league of ours, I thought it would be a good choice.

I called him last night to verify, as I started to wonder if he was just being nice and said yes, or was he really going to go.  I had never seen him in Vegas, so I wasn't sure if he even has been there before.

I call, he doesn't answer.  He calls me back, I miss the call.

Finally we connect.

"Hey, just making sure we are still on for Vegas.  And that you know the dates and are looking for flights and stuff."

"Yep, we sure are on still."

"Okay, just wanted to check."

"I'm.... " (muffled word)

"What?"

"I'm....."

Again, a muffled word.

"I can't understand what you are saying.  Do what?" as I let out a few giggles with embarrassment.

"I'm driving."

"OH, you're driving!  Really?"

"Yeah, haven't been to that part of the country and my cousin is going with me.  Only about 18 hours.  "

Well, I think to myself, that's a sure sign he's going, then!  Whew!  :)

Yay - a confirmation! 

I tell him I will send in our singles and scotch doubles entries at the same time to make it easier and he was insistent on paying me up front.

Then he says kinda with a serous laugh, "I just have to ask, Why me?"

I was caught off guard!  I'm like, DUH, isn't it obvious?

I replied, "I only play with players I think I can win with."

"Fair enough," he replies.

I thought it was so funny and kinda cool he asked that!

He adds, "Let's get together and hit a few balls sometime."

"Okay, sounds cool."

While I don't normally do that, since we don't know each other at all, can't hurt to spend some time together.  But, him suggesting that shows how serious he is about wanting to do well.  It also shows he's dedicating himself --he said he never practices pool at all. 

He adds, " I just need a shot, something I can see." LMAO!

I hope I didn't pressure him by telling him I've placed 5th, 4th, and 7th. lol.

He is a funny guy, but I can tell he feels a little obligated to do well, if that makes sense.  He has the confidence, and so do I.  And we both play pretty dam sporty 8ball.  We shall see how we do in May!

I think we will do fine but I wish my b/f was going... :( 

2 comments:

Babylon Brother said...

Sounds like it will work out just fine.

Melinda said...

I hope so! Thank you, Faroe.