Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Practice

When I am not out of town on weekends, I make sure to get my practice session in. That is one thing that I started a few years ago that I love that I still follow - try and practice at least once a week. I know once a week doesn't sound like much, but it is a true practice session - not just league or playing in a weekly tourney. I think it truly helps me stay fresh for my tournaments - conditioning is key for me. I am not one of those people that can just show up without practice sessions (well, not yet one of those people, lol).

I like to get to the pool room on Sunday at noon to practice by myself. Condition my stroke and fundamentals. Get there right when the doors open so I can get a good 9 foot table.

I got there today right on time. Walked to the table I always practice on - the 9 foot table everyone plays one pocket on. The bartender asks if I want my regular drink, "Yes, please" I reply as he pours me some water. I put my ipod on with my new Bose earbuds, grab balls 1 through 10 and start my practice routine.

I was hoping the smokers wouldn't come in for an hour or more, but one came in about 1215 but luckily he was too far away for the smoke to bother me. At my last tourney last weekend (which I hope to write about some day soon for you), I played very well (smile) - I took more time on my shots, and the improvement in doing so was obvious during the tourney. So, I started out that way today during my practice - taking my time, staying down longer for conditioning, etc. I was playing well, smooth stroke, etc. I felt good. Toward the end of the 2 hours, though, I noticed I was shooting a little faster. Ugh. :( I need more and more conditioning! But, it felt so good to hit balls. :) A few friends came in - including Fred who was born today. Ripe age of 89 today!

I then played one game of one pocket with Steve. Getting 10-4, we each needed one ball for many innings and he nailed a great bank to win. He said I was playing well - he meant one pocket, but I told him I was playing good in general. It was nice to hear his compliments, though, about one pocket! I still need to practice it more... just haven't had time for that lovely game. Oh... I need to MAKE time! (I better go re-read my goals for 2010...)

I then left the pool room to go to the hospital. Mom is back in there and so I sat with her for the rest of the afternoon. I am now home trying to get the house ready for when they let her out hopefully this coming week.

Hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

Dagwoodz said...

Hope your mom gets better soon Mel!

Josh