Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oh Saturday...

I practiced today (Saturday) instead of Sunday because I had to schedule a straight pool league match on Sunday. Well, today I found out why I love Sundays instead of Saturdays sometimes.

I showed up promptly at 11am and the parking lot was full! I walked in at the same time as several other players and I got VERY nervous that one of the three 9-foot tables I will play on would be taken right in front of my eyes and my rush to get to the pool room was all for not. :( Luckily, the other 4th player only practices shots by himself and doesn't mind to play on the 9 foot table I wont play on... and one of the other three 9-foots. Whew!

I hadn't played on this "3rd choice" 9-foot table in many months and found that it is much faster than the other two I normally play on. Now I understand why two particular players always play on this table and say "it's a good 9-ball table" - yeah, because you barely need to hit the ball to get shape! I got frustrated a few times during my first rack, but luckily I adjust quickly to tables and was able to USE the table to my shot advantage for the rest of the time. :)

After about 30 minutes, that guy who only practices shots comes and sits near my table to watch the two good one pocket players who are sparring. He sits there and smokes; and of course I get irritated. Ugh. No wonder I love Sundays so much more - less smoke in my area.

After about 40 minutes, I am on a(nother) really good run and shooting really well and one of those one pocket players comes up to me and says, "do you practice caroms?" I replied nicely, "Yea, when they come up."

He adds, "well, you could have caromed into the 9ball when you shot the 5 into the side."

I politely replied, "oh yea?"

Then I put my ear bud back in and continued my run. As I continued, I think to myself, "WTF?" This guy intends to be nice I'm sure, but he doesn't know I am conditioning my stroke and I have certain shots I shoot as I run 10 balls over and over. I thought maybe he was going to interrupt me to say I was shooting well, lmao, well, no, instead he suggested I try a specific shot even though I am concentrating on certain other shots that I work on. I wonder some more why he said that, remembering that the 9 ball was nowhere near a pocket or in a bad spot. Hmm...

I realize he didn't know my routine, but it still kinda perturbed me. And, yet another reason Sundays are better, lol.

I only practiced an hour today. I will be in two straight pool matches the next two days so I will be able to practice taking my time during my stroke then as well.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

I'm kinda fortunate that I don't have to restrict my practice time to a single day - but I am very familiar with the variables of environments interfering with your practice time.

As for the one-pocket player's comment, I don't know what it is about 1p players, but it's also been my experience they're quick to offer unsolicited advice - not always applicable. :/

I always try and listen to what they say and keep it in mind for whenever I get around to trying their suggestion. However, like you stated, you were currently working on a specific thing and they're comments can be very disruptive.