Tuesday, April 7, 2009

January 2009 Fast Eddie's Tour ReCap

This first Fast Eddie's event of the year was held in south Houston and I drove down Friday night and showed up at the pool room to play some one pocket (also ordered some pizza delivered to the pool room. Yummy!). While I struggled showing off my obviously-still-weak one pocket skills, a good one-pocket match-up was going on next to me against two good players fighting for some cash. Parker would end up winning that night over Jr.

I helped run the tournament on Saturday and always enjoy being around my fellow Tournament Directors Paul Blank and Lewis Jones. I had been sick for a few days and my throat was sore and I was losing my voice but that didn't stop me from having a few drinks with my friends Helen and Audra Saturday night! that didn't last long as my ride wanted to leave kinda early. :( But that was good - I know not to drink too much the night before a tournament anyway.

Paul and Lewis of the Fast Eddie's Tour!

I was able to get plenty of rest Saturday night which is always key for my tournament play and I showed up a little early (which I know Paul and Lewis appreciated). :) Even thought I felt worse from my stinkin' cold, I drove all this way to play some pool dag nab it!

I played Deanna Henson first. She has been playing SO well and I knew I would have my hands full. In the first game I missed a shot and she got out. She missed a shot the next game and I got out. She then won another game because I missed the three ball but I made a 9-ball on the break next game to tie it 2-2. I noticed she was getting out after my misses and tried not think about that and tried to NOT let it affect me. However, I noticed she would hit a few key balls too hard to get shape and consequently miss the ball - I was quite confused seeing this because she had been playing so well the last year. But it allowed me opportunities at the table and I luckily was able to get out most every time. Even though I might get tough shape a time or two during the runs, I beared down and got out, even with people watching in the crowd. I ended up winning the match 7-4 I think and was pretty happy and pleased.

My friend Kyu was playing her good friend Courtney Peters on the next table and I would play the winner of that match. I noticed Kyu lost and so I would get to play Courtney Peters next. Before I played her, Kyu came up to me and said she noticed in my match against Deanna that my stroke looked great and that I was playing well. I know from experience that information like that can actually affect one's play (i.e., you start to think too much about how well you are playing, instead of focusing on the shot routine) but I said thank you, was happy she noticed, and went to my match.

Courtney has been playing well as well but she seemed timid or nervous - I wasn't sure why. I played good, even though I missed two key safeties that I was frustrated with - and she got out nicely those times. I won the match 7-3 I think.

Before I played my next match, I asked my friend and great player Dennis Strickland some advice on a shot I have had trouble with that I missed in my match with Courtney. He obliged, came over to the shot I set up for him, and simply replied, "I have no tip - you just need to make it." So, evidently, there wasn't a key or secret to making the shot, LOL.

I played Michelle Abernathy next and during our match Dennis was cheering for my wins which I appreciated but the female side of me felt a little bad for Michelle because I know I hate being on the other side of cheering. It didn't seem to bother her but maybe she hid it well. I played good again and won the match 7-4.

I then found myself playing for the hotseat! Yay! I would play the tough Bonnie Plowman. I had some good runs and nice shots but she outplayed me and won. Afterwards she said she could tell I had been practicing over the holidays and I accepted that compliment with open arms and I was pleased it was noticeable. It's nice when a top player says things like that. :)

I then played Heather Pulford Lloyd next for third place. It was getting late and my drive was about 4 hours or so back home on a Sunday night but Monday was a Federal Holiday so I could sleep in. My point is, sometimes being aware of how late it is and how long of a drive home can make one mentally tired before they even play. Knowing I didn't have to be at work in the morning really helped my frame of mind.

I lost 5-3 but I could have won if I didn't miss shape on two VERY key shots. I was really upset after the match, to be honest. On one shot, on the 6 ball, which if I would have run out I would have tied it hill-hill, I changed my mind on position while down on the shot and missed shape by a foot! I don't remember the other shot but remember I missed a key shot that cost me a crucial game. I felt real good and was playing good, but in a race to 5 against such a good player as Heather, even two mistakes can cost a match.

I ended up getting third place, though. Not too shabby for my first tournament of the year!

Tourney description: Gleaming

No comments: