Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First OB Cues Ladies Tour Stop of 2009

The first event of the year for the OB Cues Ladies Tour was held only ten minutes from my house, so I was a happy little camper that got to sleep in my own bed in the comfy-ness of my home. Ahh... the little things in life. :) No long drive out of town the Friday night before and no luggage to hike around all weekend.

I stopped by Taco Cabana for a few breakfast tacos on the way to Rustys' Billiards in Arlington, Texas Saturday morning (Jan 31) and as one of the Tournament Directors, had lots to do before the tourney started. This included helping my good friend Shayla set up Live Streaming of the event!

Juan and I on the Live Stream, talking to the fans.

After running the Player's meeting, I started to take photos and glanced at the chart: I played Lisa Marr first. Lisa is the current OB Cues Tour Champion, a former pro, a player that has a lot of heart. I didn't get nervous or analyze my new-found info, I just accepted that it would be a tough match.

I didn't recognize that I was "numb." "Numbness" for me is no anxiety, no worries, no negative thoughts. It's the best body-feeling and best mind-situation for a match. :)

I had just come off my challenge match where I heard from friends who watched it live online that I was not staying down on my shots. This was awesome news - I mean, I already knew that and was working on it, but because one friend clarified exactly what he saw I was doing, I was able to bring that knowledge to this tournament. He said I was jumping up about when the cuetip hit the cueball. I suppose you could say I never thought about when I was jumping up/lifting my head, I just thought it was "in general." So, that info was truly eye-opening for me and a huge piece of knowledge.

Juan and I posing for a pic during the Live Stream.

So, I focused on staying down at that moment (cuetip to cueball), on every shot during the match with Lisa. I took advantage of every opportunity I had and to my surprise I won the match 7-3. I couldn't believe it! But I could feel how good my body felt while not moving and so the focus and determination paid off. Besides playing well and not moving, I didn't give up many opportunities and that led to a great match.

I then had to play a new girl and beat her 7-1. It was a fun match, but she was nervous.

I then played Lisa Henderson-Major. It was late in the evening and we were on the smoking-side of the pool room. But, I played better than her, even though I knew it would be a tough match. I had a few careless mistakes but was able to recover and win 7-4.

I was on the winner's side til Sunday! With 63 players in the event, I felt very good at where I stood, yet I fully admit my match with Bonnie Plowman the following Sunday morning had me freaked out. She normally free strokes against me and that is tough to beat, so I was admittedly quite worrisome.

My friend Kevin was on the live stream and we chatted in the private chat about my upcoming match with Bonnie. Here is part of it:

08:20 akaTrigger: she free strokes against me
08:21 akaTrigger: i just don't get many chances
08:21 Poolplaya9 : just bear down harder and remember she cant beat you forever
08:21 akaTrigger: yeah!
08:21 Poolplaya9 : this is as good a time as any to break through on her
08:21 akaTrigger: i like that
08:21 akaTrigger: you think?
08:21 Poolplaya9 : i do
08:22 Poolplaya9 : i have zero doubt that you are capable of beating her
08:22 Poolplaya9 : you will have to play good of course, and not have a bunch of rolls go against you, but you definitely have it in you
08:24 akaTrigger: well, she just beat me for the host seat in houston FE two weekends ago
08:24 Poolplaya9 : that was two weekends ago. has nothing to do with tomorrow :-)
08:25 akaTrigger: damnit! i can't break you
08:25 akaTrigger: lol
08:25 akaTrigger: :)
08:36 Poolplaya9 : nope, im stubborn ;-)
08:36 Poolplaya9 : there is no reason to have any doubts
08:36 Poolplaya9 : you have all the tools, just put 'em to use
08:36 Poolplaya9 : play your game
08:37 akaTrigger: true
08:37 Poolplaya9 : now is as good a time as any to break through on her
08:37 akaTrigger: you are right
08:37 Poolplaya9 : good luck!
08:37 akaTrigger: thank you!

I was honored and thankful that he shared his thoughts with me. I didn't feel like his words put pressure on me. More so, he had faith in me. Big difference.

So, Sunday morning I grab Taco Cabana again and head back to Rusty's. Bonnie came in looking a little tired and I overheard her say one of their roommates snored all nite "like a freight train." Knowing she wasn't fully rested made me feel like maybe I would have a chance. Well, several mistakes and bad safes by her, combined with me playing my game led to a Melinda victory! I won 7-4 and was quite surprised. Later in the day she made some comment to me that I got a lot of rolls. I let it get to me a little bit until I remembered the two shots she scratched on, and knowing in my heart I didn't win because of "rolls."

So, I won a match on the winner's side on Sunday!

I then played Heather Pulford Lloyd next and I was not the same person. I was timid and she was playing lights out. I was no longer finishing the racks and she had great runs and took advantage of my misses. I think I lost 7-2. :(

I then played Orietta Strickland. Tough, local player who has played on the pro tour a little bit. I had a few chances and was numb and playing well (all a good combination!). But, I scratched on a nineball and missed a 7ball - both times I adjusted while down on the shot and obviously I know I'm not suppose to do that. Otherwise, I played well, but it was a REALLY tough loss. 5-7. I walked outside and wasn't sure how I really lost playing that well and only made a few mistakes. It was truly heart wrenching. I teared up outside with the sun beating down on my face while my good friend Steve watched me pace outside, but I wouldn't talk to him. I didn't want to talk about the match - it was too soon. I was too heat broken.

Here's me when I was playing Orietta.

I placed 5th. First Ladies Tour event of the year out of 63. Not too shabby! Everyone said I was playing well, stroking the ball well and beat a lot of good players. So, overall I did have a good tournament. But, obviously, I still have a lot to learn and that is why pool is such a beautiful game.

Tourney Description: Successful

Here are the photos from this event and the article.

Until next time....

2 comments:

poolminnow said...

Great photos!!! You must have taken a million to get that many good ones. Wow.

Melinda said...

Yeah, I did take a lot this time, LOL. And yes, usually I take almost two to three times as many as I post - to get good ones. However, in March I started to use a new setting on my camera and don't have to take as many photos to try and capture that one good one out of many. I am so excited!