Monday, January 9, 2017

Technical Explanation of Nervousness

Leave it to good ol'e Dr. Oz to help me out with a billiards blog post.  :)  I subscribe to his magazine, "The Good Life" and I always read great little tidbits.

Today I share about, "Nervous Flutters."

I have written a lot about having "test anxiety" and I freak out sometimes during interviews, tests, and also of course vying for that coveted state title.

What I read in Dr. Oz's magazine was WHY this happens.  And, of course it all makes sense now:
"It's your turn to make a speech at a wedding but a cloud of butterflies are dancing around your gut.  What you're really feeling is blood leaving your digestive system - it's part of that flight or fight response that occurs when adrenaline spikes, sending blood to your extremities in case you need to say outrun a bear or a mugger. Yes, it's a bit of an over reaction when when all you need to do is take the mic."
Now I understand what is going on with the blood in my body during my episodes of test anxiety.   My brain can't think clear - because all the blood is busy making me run from a bear!

No wonder I can't think clearly or get things accomplished well during those few (but crucial) anxiety moments that cross my path in life (and well, you, if you have them at times, too).


No comments: