Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Giving Lessons, But Why Me?

I mentioned a couple of times that I am giving lessons, and have given lessons.

It's a very weird thing, though.

Who am I to think I can give lessons?

What's also weird is that's how people feel about me (and I presume others who want to teach, too).

WHO AM I?  And why would I be good at it?

I posted on FB several months ago I had some openings for lessons and someone commented, "you?  why you?  haha."

I don't blame them, really. 

I am the first to admit some people have no idea how many state and national titles I've won, or hill-hill matches I've cinched for my numerous teams in numerous playoffs, state and national events, or how many trophies I have, or that I've been playing pool for over 25 years, or that I actually know strategy and position very, very well, or that I was ranked 2nd on the OB Cues Ladies Tour, or that have a great temperament to teach, or that I have already excelled people's game with just a few lessons....

So, without knowing all of that, it makes sense why people don't understand why I would give lessons or why players would want to take lessons from me.  I get it.

Plus, some players see me not finish high on the Omega Tour, and I don't play on the OB Cues Ladies Tour anymore so players new to knowing me are really thrown for a loop, lol.

But, most people are aware that even famous athletes have coaches that don't play like the top pro's they are helping.  So, at this point, luckily I have word-of-mouth. 

If I didn't think I was making a difference I wouldn't even tell anyone I have given lessons and just move on to other things.  But I love making players happy with new knowledge of strategy and position.  I love it when players love the game even more because they see the table differently and get more wins.  I am so very lucky to be able to contribute in this arena!

2 comments:

Babylon Brother said...

Your dedication to the sport -- and all of its intricacies -- cannot be denied. We have been inside your head, and we like what we see. You would be such a good coach, teacher and mentor.

Melinda said...

This really means a lot, Babylon. More than I can express. Thank you.