Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Character

I was really taken aback over the weekend.  Someone touched me very deeply.

As I'm sitting with a teammate as we watch our other two teammates on the tables, playing in our playoffs, she says to me, "I really wish you weren't leaving the team."

I looked at her kinda sad and confused and then she added very quickly, "not because you play well, either.  Because I enjoy being around you and like you."

I told her that meant a lot.

About 30 minutes later, it REALLY sunk in what she said.  Like, the words she said earlier didn't hit my heart right away, or it didn't make sense or something.  Soon, it FILLED my heart.

I saw her at the bar and went up to her, "It REALLY meant a lot what you said earlier." as I started to tear up with emotions.

She said, "now, none of that!  But it's true - I like getting to know you.  Your game is just a bonus.  I'm going to miss YOU, and being around you."

I hugged her tight and then had to step away as the tears were welling up in my eyes.  I cant even begin to express how much that meant to me.  I'm having such a difficult time right now with drama in the pool room and dealing with negative situations, that it was refreshing to hear such positive words about little 'ole me.

I've always strived to be a good person and kind-hearted.  Sure, it's cool to be considered a top pool player, but being thought of more as a decent person and friend that people want to be around, means a trillion times more to me than being a real good player. 


No comments: