Friday, January 10, 2014

Gamble Update

I wanted to gamble a few weeks ago and called a couple of people who have gamble with me in the recently, but they weren't around.  I went to one of my local hangouts and I saw a guy (Ken) playing a friend.  My friend beat him and I was bold and wanted to play him too.

I had never seen him play before, but figured he couldn't be THAT good.

So I missed about the 4 ball the first game, thinking I'd get another shot, but he ran out!  Ooops.

He got up 0-3 in a race to 5 for $20.  I was rattled at first, but decided to just focus on playing pool (like I'm suppose to do lol) and won 5-3!

He then wanted to play two more sets, each for $50.

I go to the bathroom and I get a weird feeling, like he's trying to hustle me.  I told myself to follow those instincts and told my b/f I didn't want to play after all.

My b/f played him various ways and beat him a few sets (cheap) and I would find out later he was mouthing off about me quitting, but I never heard it.

I finally gave in and played again, because I saw he wasn't a hustler after all (lol).

I was down 0-3 again but came back and won 5-3 AGAIN.

Then the bet was raised, and we raced to 8.  No one would tell me how much we were playing for, lol, so I had no idea.  I was down at first, but then rallied again and was ahead 5-3. 

I jumped ahead 7-6, but then overdrew the 8 ball, or else I would have won the set!  UGH.  Instead it went hill and he wanted to play "win by 2."

He made the 9 on the break, then a carom.  Then I won a game, but he won the next.  I lost the set!  :(

I would finally find out later we had $140 and someone else had $100.  We tried to play him more, but he left in a hurry.

I saw him a week later.  I asked to play again and he snips, "No."

"Okay" and I walk away.

This day I'm much more focused, so he should be glad he said no.  lol.

But then he walks up to me, "I've been practicing for 4 hours and need to leave soon, but I'll play 3 sets race to 5 for $20, no matter what."

I'm thinking, "Cool, I haven't played pool since I played you last."  But, I'm not about to say that to him because that will hurt him after I BEAT him.

I get my cue from the car and we start to play.  He tells my b/f that he likes to play me because he learns from me.  Nice compliment.  He said I take my time and he wants to start doing that because he shoots too fast.

I won 5-3, 5-3, and 5-2.  By the middle of the second set he was throwing the rack under the table.  He wasn't very happy.

I was.  Always nice to play well!


2 comments:

Johnny said...

So, you've proven you can beat him in short races - those longer races could be a different story? maybe next time, instead 3 sets, race to 5, do 2 sets, race to 9? Maybe for $30/set (to keep the total money the same)?

Races to 5 are so... iffy, for me, I kinda hate them. haha if I'm down 0-5 in a race to 9, I still feel like I have a chance, but 0-3 in a race to 5, I all but give up. It's weird, I know, but... *shrug* that's me. haha

Melinda said...

I don't mind the long races, the issue with the long race was I had been drinking and wasn't able to completely focue or play well because the alcohol affected me. That's why I played so much better the second time we matched up - sober as a rock!