Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Running a Men's Tour

One of my dreams the last 5 years or so was to start a new Tour in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for the players.  I always envisioned a Tour in North Texas FOR the players so they wouldn't have to drive so far for good competition to improve their game, make some money, and be able to play the game they love.

In the Fall of 2012, my dream came to fruition and the Omega Billiards Tour officially started

Twelve months later, our 64-player brackets are full to capacity with a 60+ person waiting list! 

This year we had 6 stops and the Finale is in December. 

Next year we will have 8 stops total and $1,500 added guaranteed, WITH the field increasing to 80 players!  It's awesome!

Everywhere I go, players ask me about the Omega Tour and it lights up my world to see so many people interested in the tournaments!

The Omega Billiards Tour is mostly a men's tour.  The OB Cues Ladies Tour is also in the area but that is only for women.  The Omega Billiards Tour was created for ALL players, but usually only 2-3 women play in it, so it's mostly male players.  They are very testosterone-laden events, lol.


I am the Tournament Director and have ran all 8 tournaments of the Omega Billiards Tour. 

And I figured something funny out the other day:  not many of the players know I play pool; esp good pool!  LOL.

One of the players of the Omega Billiards Tour met me at the OB Cues Ladies event last weekend to talk about sponsorship.  He arrived right when I was about play my third match. 

After I won 7-2, I walked up to him to chat and he said surprisingly, "I had no idea you played pool so well, or that you even played!  I was really impressed." 

I told him that that actually crossed my mind when I was playing - he isn't on my Facebook or the AZB forums, and doesn't play in the same league, so he wouldn't even know I played pool, lol.

Luckily I played real good that match, haha, but even the other night when I gambled, one of the Omega Tour players watched and afterwards he told me, "I didn't know you played pool, also.  I thought you just ran the tournaments.  You play good." 

"Thank you," I said shyly.

I guess that's the type of reaction I should expect since I don't play in the Omega tournaments myself.  Tough to run a tourney mostly by yourself, so I never played in it. 

But I sure am enjoying the reactions I've been getting lately because some people really had no idea I played sporty!  :)


No comments: