Monday, November 4, 2013

Get Out of my Way

I wrote a few years ago how it used to tick me off a little when someone plays safe on me, and then they have to walk around the table before they go sit in their chair, and bend down little to check out if they hooked me or not.

I always think to myself, "Just get out of the way.  You'll know in a minute if I'm hooked or not by the way I shoot the ball."

I just don't get it.  I admit it used to get under my skin, but now I just laugh at it. 

I wonder what people think of what I do:  I play safe, and walk away WITHOUT seeing if I hooked you good or not.  Yep, confidence.  lol.

However, at ACS Texas State in October, something happened I hadn't see before and was pretty comically miffed.

I was in the team event and was playing a close game against a slow player.  I went for my last shot to get on the 8ball and I knew it was risky - I may not have a shot at all afterwards, but still took the chance.

I shoot the shot, make it.  And walk over to where the cueball is to see if I can see the 8ball through all her balls.

As I do this, she quickly walks up to the table and gets between me and the shot to see if I'm hooked!  She walks up so fast, she actually sees the shot before I do!

I stand there, looking at her dumbfounded.

I should have asked her, "uh, am I hooked?"  lol

Instead, I'm thinking to myself: "Why are getting our of your chair, Lady?  It's not your turn at the table.  If I am hooked, you will know it.  Go sit down and get out of my way."

She then looks at me and says, "Sorry, just looking" as she scoots away from the table and sits back down.


I got lucky I could see the 8 ball so clearly, as I really thought I was hooked behind her balls.  I then made the far 8ball beautifully.

It may not see like much, but her timing was bad and she didn't need to approach the table during my shot.

Sure, play safe, see if you "got me," but don't interrupt my turn at the table.


2 comments:

matthew said...

I played some 14.1 and full-rack rotation with a friend this past weekend and thought about this post. When I played safe, I forced myself to walk away from the table without looking to see how good my shot was. I kept reminding myself, "He's about to show me if I played a good safe or not."

At the same time, my friend (who's something of a perfectionist) kept running around and checking if he played a good safe or not.

Courtney said...

I remember when that happened and you had a look on your face like REALLY?