Friday, February 18, 2011

Take Responsiblity

It annoys me when people complain about things they could have prevented.  I do it, too.  I'm only human, also.  But it has come up a lot of late for some reason in regards pool and so it's on my mind more how much the annoyance of bitching about things that could be prevented gets under my skin.

Sure, I stay up too late sometimes and shouldn't.  I will drag my dog-tired arse around all day and be miserable at work, but you wont hear me complain too much about it.  Yes, it's my own fault.  Yes, it was preventable, but I did it to myself and I accept that.  I just accept how tired and miserable I am and suffer through it.  (then I fall into bed by 630pm and sleep all night, lol.)

It's when the whiners are more vocal than usual about things that are preventable that agitate me most for some reason.

I have three main pet peeves about "preventable whining" when it comes to pool:

1.  You don't post, then you get stiffed.
2.  You leave your cue in the car, and it gets stolen.
3.  You haven't been practicing, and don't play or finish well in a tourney.


1.  You don't post, and then you get stiffed.  Really?  Come on now.  Everyone knows to post.  I will give one reprieve - if it's your first time to ever gamble.  If you don't get your opponent to post the money, it's your own fault if you don't get paid.  It's a harsh sentence, I know.  But it's the same as me - I lend money and never get it back (a lot).  It's my own fault, but I wont whine about it - It's Preventable!  I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else for not complaining sometimes, but I am saying it annoys me when people whine loudly, foolishly over preventable things.  Pet Peeve, I guess.  Although, I am very impressed when those that don't force posts, then don't get paid, don't whine afterwards - it's remarkable (and uncommon) when one admits silently it's their own fault, so I get impressed.

Too bad we all don't learn from our misjudgments, lol.  I keep lending money, and others remain playing on air barrels.

2. You leave your cue in the car, and it gets stolen. OMG, this one annoys me, also.  Yes, it sucks when things are stolen.  It really does.  It feels like you are violated, personally.  If someone comes into your house and robs you, you should feel violated.  If someone breaks into your car and steals your cue - that to me was preventable.  Why would anyone leave their cue in a car at a pool room?  I don't listen too well to that whine, I admit.

3. You haven't been practicing, and don't play or finish well in a tourney.  It took me many, many years to figure out that if I don't play my best, I can't expect to do well in a match/tourney and shouldn't be disappointed, disgusted, and walk around complaining about it.  If I'm missing a lot, thinking while down on the shot, and I am not putting my full effort into every single shot, then I wont finish well or win when I should.  I wish the players that never practice anymore would quit whining that they didn't do well.  Hello?  You haven't practiced in 2 months!  I sincerely appreciate my friends who say, "I haven't hit a ball since the last tourney so it doesn't surprise me I didn't play better."  That takes a lot of heart to admit and say it out loud, instead of getting so frustrated you bitch, moan, and whine that you don't play the same as you used to (when you haven't been working on your game!)  Ugh.  Take some responsibility.  Stop with the excuses.

Preventable whining.  Reminds me of the amazing, awesome Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

hmmm....

Maybe I should reread this prayer when I get agitated, LOL!

No comments: