Monday, February 1, 2010

One Pocket Update

I mentioned in my previous post about watching the semi-finals and finals of the One Pocket Derby online. So, when I went to practice Sunday after I finished playing ten ball, I obviously was itching to play some one pocket. No one was at the pool room that I wanted to play one pocket with, so instead I practiced my three rail banks. I did this for about 30 minutes. My friend Shonn from Houston showed me the two rail and three rails banks, but I hadn't really practiced them yet so this day I did.

It noticed I was short on all the three railers and finally figured out I remembered the English wrong that Shonn told me. LOL. I only hit a few two rail shots, mostly practiced the three rail banks for this 30 minute session.

My friend Fred came in and I asked him if he wanted to play and we played 4 games of one pocket. I played him even. I usually ALWAYS get a spot from everyone, but today I felt confident and tried him even.

Fred is about, I dunno, 85 years old or so, but knows the game well and still executes well. It's quite impressive!

I only won 1 outta 4 games, but I played really well! I hid the cue ball well from open shots on my side and also played pretty smart. Ironically, I only had one three-rail shot come up the entire time (LMAO) and more two rail shots came up but I didn't try them. I thought that was hysterical - the bank I practiced most didn't come up, and the other bank did. LOL.

I did scratch a lot in the first game and so that cost me the win, but I played smart otherwise and that felt great. In the last game, he had 7 balls and I had minus 2. I was proud, though, that I kept alive for a very long in that game and eventually only lost only 8-5.

I can't wait to watch the big One Pocket Tourney in Tulsa this weekend in person!!

No comments: