Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pro-A$$

I saw an unfortunate "thing" at the pool hall this week. I was sitting there with friends, watching some one pocket action on the middle table while I drank 25cent draft beer for Fat Tuesday for Mardi Gras.

On the left table, another gambling match of 9ball was going on. On the right table, a group of barely-21-year-olds were oddly holding the house cues and trying to make any ball they could with their funky stances.

I then saw something that disturbed me. You may not think it's a big deal, but it was to me.

One of the guys playing one pocket was checking out his options on the table, but realized he couldn't shoot his shot because one of the young girls to the right was in his space. She was debating what to do on her own table, and was just standing there. The real pool player looked at her (with a "come on, get out of my way" look on his face), and realized he could not shoot because she was in his way. He didn't even take 5 seconds to think about it or to see if she was gonna shoot soon. Instead, in the blink of an eye, he leaned into her and touched her back with his body to catch her attention so that SHE would move. She politely moved out of his way, he shot fast, and then she returned back to her table to try and make her shot.

I still can't believe I witnessed this. Again, it's prolly no big deal to you. But, he didn't tap her on the shoulder to ask her to move, he didn't wait for her to shoot, he simply kinda forced her out of his area. Now, being the blogger that I am with the Glass is Half Full Section in her blog, I am trying hard to find the half full/positive in this scenario. IMO, he was rude, he wasn't cordial, he didn't care. He wanted to shoot, she was in the way, let's lean into her so she will move out of MY space so I can shoot MY shot that is obviously WAY more important.

I could go on about how she was a female and he should respect chicks, but that would seriously bring out those guys on AZB that don't like me talking like that. I will say that if it was a guy, he would have done the same thing.

As I reflect on this post the next day (I wrote it last night), I now maybe see a Half Glass Full part! Admittedly, this next part will make the post less controversial, lol, but maybe, just maybe I SAW it wrong. Maybe when he leaned in he whispered to her? Maybe what I thought I saw was not what I saw at all. Instead of me seeing him touch her back with his body to get her to move, maybe in that moment, he was really leaning into her space and said, "excuse me" and I just didn't hear it because I was a table away.

Hmmm...

2 comments:

p00lriah. said...

u have ur opinions trigger, & i don't see why u need to worry about agitating other people if u truly believe in ur position. fire away!! (sorry, bad pun!!)

as far as what the guy did, it was a pretty odd move, one not used in polite company. i use a simple gauge. if the girl was that player's wife, and some guy leaned into her to move her out of the way, would he appreciate such behavior?

i'm no raging feminist by any means, nor do i think a girl is always right. but common etiquette should be observed. i think u were right that a simple "excuse me" or a shoulder tap would be the appropriate moves, not a body bump.

The Worst Service in the World said...

The guy was probably stuck. His punishment comes from not being mentally tough enough to tune out distractions. If he was winner when he did that he's probably an ahole.

Nevertheless, player poolrooms separate serious pool from funny pool. I once saw a drunk guy get stabbed over the inadaquate space between tables.