Sunday, June 28, 2015

Getting Trumped

I mentioned that I went to the doc to try out mono-vision contacts.  (see the follow-up here).

I mentioned to my new optometrist that it was important that I made sure my dominant eye was fitted with the correct contact, because I played pool.

He's looking at the big back-in-the-future-like wheels and making adjustments on them in front of my eyes and asks me.

"You play pool, huh?

"Yes."

"Do you play well?"

"I think so."

"That's good.  Pool is a fun game."

At this point, I feel it's necessary to explain it's not a recreational sport for me.  It's a serious game!  And I can't afford to mess that up with these new contacts.

"Yea, I've won state tournaments, and a national tournament just last year."

I really don't like talking about myself, so I was speaking soft and trying not to sound like I was bragging - I was merely trying to express that I played fairly decent and this was important.

"Oh yea?  You must play pretty good then."

He seems surprised and impressed.  So then I got a little giddy. 

I laughed, blushed, crack a slight smile, straightened my back to be a little taller in my chair because he was impressed and replied, "Yea, I guess so."

He counters with, "When I was in San Antonio, Vivian Villarreal was one of my patients."

OMG!

Bubble bursted, lol.  I slouched back down in my chair.  No longer feeling like super woman, and feeling all of a sudden deflated.

"Well, she plays much better than I do...."  as I duck away from the convo, lol.

If he knows her, then he's not impressed with little miss state-and-national-title-girl, lol.

Vivian is a good friend of mine, so it makes the story that much funnier to me!





No comments: