Monday, June 29, 2015

Apology Accepted, and Impressive

A couple of months ago, I was running the Omega Tournament and an exchange between two players caught my attention.

During one of the matches, one of the guys was getting animated and expressing his disappointment verbally when he would make a mistake.  Or sometimes even physically by slapping his hand on the table.

He would eventually lose that match and afterwards he shook his opponents' hand and quickly walked out of the area with his things.  He didn't stick around at all and bolted.

He was pretty upset with himself.

After about 30 minutes, I hear his voice behind me.  He had walked back in (I thought he left the scene of the crime) to talk to his opponent.

"Hey, I've cooled down now.  Wanted to say I'm sorry I got so heated, but that was really a nice match and you played well.  And I wanted to wish you luck now that I've calmed down."

I thought it was really cool that he came back and talked to his opponent.  He could have easily just left and drove off, but this player isn't like that.  He genuinely likes to congratulate his opponents and wish them well, he just wasn't in the right frame of mind to be nice and friendly right after his tough loss.

He needed to cool off and after he was calmed down and no longer super upset at himself, he turned his attention to his opponent to wish them luck in their future matches.

Impressive.

And, he complimented his opponent in front of several people.  It was very nice of him.



No comments: