Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Valentine's Day Scotch Tourney

I played in a scotch doubles tournament on the dreaded Valentine's Day.  My bestie, Amanda, was going to Tulsa for this tourney and invited me to tag along.  

Here is Amanda and I the morning of the tourney:


The tourney director in Tulsa found me a partner and so I got to play as well.  So, I was happy with that, especially since they added $500 to the prize fund (and the entry fee's were $50). 

It was held at the 727 Club, which I had heard about a lot from my ex, and even saw a few players he normally gambled with.

They decorated the whole place with red and silver and hearts and cool Valentine-themed table cloths.  They really went all out.  Even had door prizes!

I was introduced to my partner, Charley, right before the calcutta, and I found out he played good bar table pool, so we were golden.

I asked him, "Do you break well?"  He said yes, but that normally when he plays scotch he let's the female break and he picks the opening ball.  I told him I played good 8 ball and since he broke well, I could pick for us.  :)

I told him we would be pleasantly surprised, but then I got kinda nervous.  What if I didn't play well today?  Did I just jinx myself?  Nah, I still played well :)

He said at one point, "Well, we will at least have fun today."   I knew right then he was being nice in case I didn't play well, lol.  I admit it was kinda tough not to brag about myself, because I wanted him to not worry haha.

Once the break was decided, we didn't talk again about pool strategy.  I'm still of the belief if two people play really good 8 ball, then they will do just fine together. 

We went hill hill the first match and lost against a team who would eventually get 4th out of 32.  They didn't make one mistake and got out when they should.  But Charley and I played real well together.

We won the next three matches easy, 3-0.  But we ran into another tough team and lost.

I honestly thought we would for sure be in the money because we both played so well but the teams were tough; tougher than I thought.  And we only went for $30 in the Calcutta, too!  A couple of people wanted to bid on us, but they let me buy ourselves for $30.  Everyone thought it was a steal but they were nice to not outbid us.  And then we didn't even get in the money LOL.

Turns out Charley and I know a lot of the same people and I enjoyed playing with him, even though I didn't even remotely know him before that day.

Amanda and her partner (who she had never played with before but knew) won the tourney by double dipping the favorites around 4 am.   They both played really, really well and they came with some amazing shots to win.  Amanda was impressive in her knowledge and talent as usual!

I also got to spend quality time with my girlfriend Bobbi and it was great to spend the day with her:

No comments: