Friday, March 7, 2014

Stats Can Ruin a Run

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my stats in my women's league.  Well, all of my leagues keep stats for break and runs and rack and runs.  And of course 5-0s or 6-0s.

I have to admit it's pretty neat to see the numbers go up for each of those statistics.

But what it does sometimes is make me go for shots I normally wouldn't. 

If I am playing against a really good player (or even decent player) OR playing in a tournament, I NEVER do this, but against certain players at certain times (not playoffs for example, but on a regular league night), I sometimes shoot a tougher first shot to pick the "easier" balls that would garner me a break and run.

Whereas I should instead be picking the CORRECT shot and balls, not look for a chance to run out.

If it's an easy run, then it doesn't matter.  But let's say the first shot of stripes is sketch, but I can run stripes and bump up my break and run stats, I will try that tough shot instead of going for the easier shot on solids.

For the record, this is NOT the way to play 8ball!  And I have missed MANY tough shots "trying" for that almighty break and run to up my stats. 

You don't take a tough first shot.  You take  the CORRECT shot.  The correct shot might be to take solids and then play safe because you can't run out due to clusters or blocks.  The correct shot might be to take stripes but leave that risky shot til you have better position.

Your goal is not to run out!  Your goal is to win!  And that means by choosing the correct first shot with the correct ball choices.





No comments: