Wednesday, March 21, 2012

OB Cues Tour Stop 2 of 2012

At the first stop of the year of the OB Cues Ladies Tour, I placed 5th.  Then I went to Reno in mid Feb for the U.S. Bar Table Championships and had a great experience strengthening my mental game (and pre shot routine).  However, League Playoffs in mid March proved to be a very a disheartening display of pool for me.

So, with playing so poorly in the team event just the weekend before, I was concerned how I would play at the 2nd stop of the OB Cues Ladies Tour.  Would I show up?  And how would I perform?  And admittedly, I hadn't been playing much pool - not weekly tourneys nor straight pool matches.  So, time off the table the last few weeks also worried me.

There were 46 ladies who played in the event - what a great turn out for the Tour!

As we waited for the draw, an acquittance comes up and starts to talk to a friend at my table.  Then he asks me, "You gonna win this tournament?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?" He quips back at me.

"Well, there are some players in this tourney who are better than me."  Then I added,"but I'm not afraid of them."

"That's good," he replies.

Then he says to his friend, "I don't enter a tournament just to break even.  And when I play, I want to win."  I guess he just wanted to share his philosophy about tournaments and competing.

The draw is complete and I get a bye.

My first opponent is a good player.  I was nervous in the beginning, and therefore gave up two games because I wasn't staying down on my shots.  I'm not sure what was wrong with me.  Why the heck was I nervous and not focused?

At 1-3 her, I tried desperately not to think about how the score should be 3-1 ME; that she was UP because of my mistakes.

I thought about the exchange earlier:  And dammit, *I* wanted to win!

My mantra is also, "take advantage of their mistakes."  Well, I waited.  And waited.  My opponent broke and ran one game, and ran from my break two games.  Score is now 1-5 Her.  I kept waiting for a mistake, for a chance at the table, but she was playing good (she would go on to place 2nd in this tourney).

Finally, she missed.  Ugh; finally!  By this time, I have overcome my nerves, focused only on me (and not those around me) and I'm ready to freakin' play pool!  Ready to stay down on my shots!  I start to make a come back.  I am playing good, solid, strong, with a great pre shot routine.  And I manage to tie it 5-5 !!

Go me!

She gets on the hill first.  But, I then make the 9 on the break to make the match go hill hill!  :)

I play real good still the final game.  After probably one of the best shots I had all weekend on the 8 ball (long distance, cueball on the rail), I was left with a tricky 9ball that I barely missed.  Then she made it easily. 

I had very mixed emotions.  To finally start to shoot well is a wonderful feeling, but to lose hill-hill and be so close is disappointing.  My boyfriend reminded me how well I did - I was down 5-1 and came back strong with great play.  He seemed proud of me, even though I lost.  That meant a lot. 

Overall, I did feel great!  Anytime I pull my head out of my a$$ is a great feeling, lol.

I then play two new girls next and win both of those.  Then I play a teammate (fro State and Nationals).  I start of slow, but then I dug deep and focused and played good to win another match!

Then I have to play one of my besties who is one of the best players on the tour.  It was a tough match.  People watching who judge us, last match of the night, who would be left til Sunday, etc.

I didn't let the bystanders get to me - if I lost and they said something, I would handle it then.  I just tried my best and focused on me and my game.

I was up 6-4 but then couldn't finish any racks, lol.  I lost focus, I guess?  It went hill-hill and I was content overall with how I played and would be fine with going home.  But, after several innings on the hill-hill match, I was able to make a tough 8ball somehow for the win.  I just stayed down, smooth stroke, tried not to force the shot and made it.  Then made the 9ball in the side with a soft stroke.

I was SO surprised I was still in the tourney til Sunday!!  Out of 46 girls, I admit I was happy and surprised by it all.

I stayed at the pool til 2am because my boyfriend was in a big gambling match.  I desperately wanted to get some sleep, but we could not leave because he was up in the sets.  After only about 4-5 hours of bad sleep (noisy hotel), I arrived at the pool room Sunday morning more refreshed than I thought I would be.  But, I also kept in mind what Amanda Lampert told me a long time ago, "Pretend like you aren't tired."  (yes, it works).


I played SO dang well the first 4 games of my first match on Sunday.  I was elated inside.
E-L-A-T-E-D!  But then I started to not finish games and I let my opponent inch closer.  I finally got up 5-3 but took a bathroom break.  I washed my sticky hands, came back determined, and won the next two games with great play (like I had played in the beginning)!

I was now playing for 7th place!

Again I started out strong but when I was up 4-2 I made a crucial error on the 9ball.  Frustrated with my play (because I was no longer playing well (just like the first match)), I again went to the bathroom to wash my hands.  I play so much better when my hands don't feel sticky (it was very humid this weekend).  I came back from the bathroom and won each game after that, sealing my win 7-3.  My opponent told me afterwards that she had a feeling she was in trouble after my bathroom break, lol.  I suppose I did give myself a pep talk while I washed my hands.  Mostly, just to try to play well again and stop thinking while down on my shots; and stop thinking about those around me.

I then played one of the top players on the tour and while Ming Ng is a friend, she's also fierce on the table.  I was so enamored by her play, I almost forgot I was competing against her, lol.  I loved the way she would run out a rack; loved her patterns.  I was able to get a couple of games and Ming commented how much my game has improved, just from the stop in January.  That meant a lot because I have been working on things, and for her to notice meant the world to me.  I would scratch on a tough 8ball and miss an even tougher 9ball, so the 7-2 loss could have been a much closer score.  But, I still played good overall, and I felt great.  I also placed 5th!  OMG!  Out of 46 players!

I'm still so shocked!

I was able to prevail in a lot of matches and I dug deep to compete.  It felt great to be a competitor and to fight hard and to overcome mental obstacles in my brain.  Further, I really did play well; stayed down well; stroked the ball well.  It is such a wonderful feeling to play good pool.

No comments: