Tuesday, March 13, 2012

League PlayOffs

I played in my first-ever league play offs last weekend.  In this league, if your team does well enough, you play in The Best of the Rest tourney one weekend and then the next weekend is Best of the Best.  The only way for the team to make money is to make it to the Best of the Best weekend.  There were 12 teams total that made it to the Best of the Best.

We placed 4th overall.  We made $1,000.  The matches we won, the entire team played well.  The matches we lost, we could have defeated our opponents, but as a team we all seemed to struggle in those two matches.

I played every round, but I didn't play well!  I don't know what was wrong with me (besides exhaustion) but I was nervous at times (dog a 3-ball run and then stormed off), didn't have much confidence (and was very upset at myself a lot) and fluke things would happen a lot.  I scratched a few times and my opponent would run out either from the break or early in the rack (when normally they shouldn't be able to get out).  I was frustrated most of the time; the entire weekend. 

I got embarrassed a lot, too.  Team pressure is entirely different than when you are playing for yourself.  And with so many people standing around literally within arms length, it amplifies my mistakes. 

The one time I stormed off after I missed the 8ball, someone joked I needed to be put on suicide watch, lol (I admit that joke helped).  And when I would moan to my boyfriend how stupid a miss was, he would comfort me and tell me everyone makes mistakes.  He kept reminding me it was "okay."

On Sunday morning, my first game (and the first game of our first match), I am running out beautifully and bank my last ball - the 5 ball.  It goes nicely in the pocket, but the cueball bumps the 8ball and the8ball slips into the side pocket, also.  The other team starts to hoop and holler and clap.  My embarrassment factor escalates through my body and I immediately get super pissed. 

You're gonna clap for a win like that??  I was LIVID.  I grabbed my chalk, shook the guys hand and said loudly as I walked away, "You gonna clap and cheer for someone making the eightball out of turn???  Really???"

My b/f tries to calm me down and I tell him "It's not right."

"I know, but it's okay. "

"I can say something if I want to," I boldly state to him.

He replies, "Yes you can, just don't let it affect your next match.  Let it go soon."

"Oh, I'll be ready.  I'm ready to play NOW."

I did end up winning my next two games of that match.   

I was reminded it is the playoffs and so the teams aren't all nicey nicey and don't really have etiquette.  Which to me is no excuse - you should have etiquette not matter what tourney you play in.

I didn't let things snowball, but I was agitated at different times throughout the weekend with my shape mistakes or missed balls or rude comments.  Again, I don't know why I played so badly.  I just hope by this weekend that's out of my system, because I have an OB Cues Ladies Tour stop in town to play in!  :)

No comments: