He interviewed numerous champions and found that they had many similar characteristics. His book explains what "makes the great ones great" and shares their similar characteristics.
You can read more about him and his books at http://www.donyaeger.com/
In the meantime, I thought it would be cool to share the 16 Consistent Characteristics of Greatness with you all. I think it's fascinating and gives an insight we wouldn't normally be aware of:
Bookmark of the 16 Characteristics of Greatness
How They Think
1. It’s Personal – they hate to lose more than they love to win.
2. Rubbing Elbows – They understand the value of association.
3. Believe – They have faith in a higher power.
4. Contagious Enthusiasm – They are positive thinkers….They are enthusiastic….and that enthusiasm rubs off.
How They Prepare
5. Hope for the Best, But…They prepare for all possibilities before they step on the field.
6. What Off-Season? They are always working towards the next game… The goal is what’s ahead, and there’s always something ahead.
7. Visualize Victory – they see victory before the game begins.
8. Inner Fire – They use adversity as fuel.
How They work
9. Ice in Their Veins – They are risk-takers and don’t fear making a mistake.
10. When All Else Fails – They know how and when to adjust their game plan/
11. Ultimate Teammate – They will assume whatever role is necessary for the team to win.
12. Not Just About the Benjamins – They don’t pay just for the money.
How They Live
13. Do Unto Others – They know character is defined by how they treat those who cannot help them.
14. When No One is Watching – They are comfortable in the mirror… They live their life with integrity.
15. When Everyone is Watching – They embrace the idea of being a role model.
16. Records Are Made to be Broken – They know their legacy isn’t what they did on the field. They are well-rounded.