Thursday, January 29, 2009

But I had a Blast!

As I mentioned, I had a Challenge Match to play in. Here is a quick overview:
  • There is a thread on the AZBilliards.com forums were people from the same state can challenge each other.
  • I played a guy from North Texas named Zach.
  • We played short rack banks Race to 5 and then 9-ball Race to 9. The tie breaker (if needed) would be 8-ball, which was picked by Tara (the previous King of Texas (well, Queen)). That race will be to 7.
  • All matches get played on 9-foot tables.
  • Challenge will be at the Billiard Den (in Richardson, Texas) on Jan 22 (a Thursday).
Update:

I lost. Simply. LOL. But, I had SO much fun!

Turns out my friend Viet My was streaming it online (live!) and my friend Ray drove almost 2 hours to tape it for DVD.

Eeeeek! Pressure! lmao.

I walked in in a good mood and walked over to the 9-foot Diamond table to hit balls (that was obviously the table we were going to play on because all these cameras were facing toward the felt with their eagle eyes!). The table rolled a little different (and fast) and didn't take the English like I thought, but I hit a few balls and practiced a few banks before my opponent walked in, looking just as tired as I felt. LOL

Many people were around the pool hall that I knew - I had picked a Thursday night to play the challenge match because my league is out of the Billiard Den on Thursdays.

I was very nervous at first and started to be embarrassed with my play, but eventually I finally stayed down a little more and took my time (unfortunately, it's easy to shoot fast in banks) and chatted a little into the microphone and saw some friends on the chat, which ironically soothed me instead of making me more nervous like I thought.

It went hill-hill in the race to 5 banks and I was pleasantly surprised since it was only my second time to play banks! At the beginning of the final game, I felt confident I was gonna win, but eventually I scratched twice and he made some good banks and so I lost the final set 5 to -1. LOL

Then we played 9-ball and I steamed ahead 7-1 then 8-2 and finally beared down (I got a little too comfy/loose there for a while) and ran out well the last rack to win 9-4. I was breaking real well, too! Many on the live stream chat were commenting on it (I would hear about later). I am using the new OB Break Cue Shaft and really love it!

So, because he won the first set and I won the next set, the tie breaker set was needed. It was 8ball and I love 8ball! I was clearly the favorite, but the favorite has to show up! lol. I definitely was not the same person as I was in 9ball. I didn't stay down as well, missed a lot more shots and it cost me the match. I missed two almost-straight-in shots (typical for me when I don't take my time or stay down) and those cost me dearly. I lost 7-4. I felt I was really gonna win, but I did not - missed too many shots.

But, it was almost 6 full hours of play...and it was so much fun! Zach was a pleasure to play against and I enjoyed chatting with friends in person and online. I can't wait to see it all on tape - I heard I was jumping up (moving my head) and want to see it because I KNOW that it will help me! I'm so excited!

Viet My was so awesome and paid for our table time, as I paid Zach the required $50 to the winner. It truly was such a great experience!! I'm also relieved that I held my own. LOL

My friend Juan challenged Zach next and they will play soon. Good luck, guys! I hope you have as much fun as I did.

Thanks again for everyone's support!! You all rock!!

1 comment:

adhesive remover said...

Glad you had a good time at your challenge match! :-)