Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hunter Tourney in Corpus

Well, it was going to be a low turn out, we knew that, but little did we know it would be the lowest yet. 19 women. I almost didn't make it myself. Tropical Storm Erin caused a lot of rain the week before, but by Friday, the weather was great for the drive down there for everyone.

However, my Dad was admitted into the hospital on Thursday, August 16th. I came down to San Antonio the night before to visit and help my parents before I went to the tournament in Corpus (only about 2 hours away) and instead I found myself trying to figure out what to do with this new situation, including, do I stay with my Dad overnight in the hospital or do I stay with my Mom who needs help as well? Her advanced emphysema has worsened, and it was tough for her to visit him in the hospital. I tried to get things done during the day and also visit him, but I stayed with my Mom at night. My Dad had complications with his advanced diabetes and the hospital stay was not a life or death situation, more that he needed help to get healed.

He said I could go to the tournament and although I was apprehensive, I went and the break was good. I stayed with Monica and used ear plugs for the first time and actually really like them! The tournament started off very well and things were running somewhat smoothly.

I played a new lady first, Elvi, who is very nice and sweet and if I hadn't paid more attention, I would have lost even though I should easily win. I then played Monica. Last time we played I lost and so I admit I was nervous. At the beginning of the match I was not playing well and it donned on me to be assertive (X games to win) instead of nervous. It was so comforting and almost exciting to know I could do that so early in the match (usually these things don't dawn on me until AFTER the match is over and I've lost, LOL). I guess thinking about how and why I mentally didn't do well at the tournament in Grapevine the week after the event (Aug 3-5) really did help out! So, I played better and next thing you know, when I am on 5 games, I run out from the 1, and then break and run the next game to win the match 7-3 or 7-4.

I then played Heather Lloyd and wasn't nervous. There was someone watching that was going to bother me, but ended up having to play so it worked out. I was running out the first match and missed an 8 ball and she got out. Then I missed a 5 ball and she got out. I finally got a game and then she won again. I don't recall what happened in the middle of the match but when I deliberately set up shape for a 3-9 combo, I got bad on it and decided to run out. I ended up having to play safe on the 5 ball and I didn't hide it enough and she hit it good and combo-ed the 9 ball in with a good shot. By this time, I was PISSED. I said out loud to her, in a snappy voice, "I should have made the 3-9 combo." I felt bad and realized I said that because I was upset, so I apologized to her before the next rack. She said it was okay and understood. What I was also going through was trying to get over my misses. I missed that 8 and 5 and was just sick. I tried to get it out of my head. I was going through a roller coaster ride during the match! Hehe. But, I overcame it and while I was running out one game, I saw the shape so well for the whole rack and instead of baby-ing for shape on the 5 ball, I hit the 4 ball with authority, honestly taking a risk, but knew the shape was perfect to make the out and I nailed it. Even after the run, Heather said, "nice out!" I then caught a gear and all of a sudden the match is tied 5-5. Wow!

I needed to wash my hands so the break she took at 5-5 was good for me, too. Then we got back to the table and I was running out and barely, I mean barely, missed the 8 ball after a fine run. I was even thinking at one point I was playing good, but I missed the 8 and she got out. I didn't sweat it and was running out the next rack when I saw ahead of time I'd have to set up a straight in draw shot on the 8 ball. I shook my head, but was confident in the practice I had put in for this exact situation. Well, I nailed the 8 ball!! I didn't miss it and even drew it back, but I over drew it and missed shape by almost a foot. LOL. I was excited I drew it back and also made the ball, but missed the tough back cut on the nine and lost 7-5. It's heartbreaking to know I had chances and should have been playing for the hot seat the next day, but everything happens for a reason. I did wonder why I missed late in the rack. Then I saw this thread on AZB and there are some pondering points in it that may help me for the future. That, and obviously I cared more about shape than making some of those last key balls?

I had to wait a little while and then played Terry Petrosino. I wanted to win so bad for the points, but had 5th/6th locked. But, I didn't play as well as my previous matches and she really nailed some tough nineball shots and I missed too many times or didn't play good enough safes. I'm not sure what happened that match (why I didn't play well), but I lost 4-7. Not too bad, 5th/6th $160. I felt overall okay, but knew I could have done better in the tournament.

I then played in the second chance tournament on Sunday and played fairly well overall (even a 5-2 win over Helen Hayes), but some key mistakes cost me a hill-hill loss to Monica who has been playing well. But, I felt pretty good. I then forfeited because my Dad called and they needed me back home. I was actually very upset at the call because of the miscommunication between my Mom, Dad and myself, but I shouldn't have played in the Second Chance tournament anyway. I left in a hurry, and looked more upset than I wanted anyone to see. But, sometimes I can't hide those emotions when I am upset with 'family' things. After the event, it was clear some things upset Monica and I, but we survived another tournament and hopefully everyone had a good time. We did hear the room owner wants us back and was impressed with our tour! What a compliment!

My Dad ended up getting out of the hospital on Wed and that was the most stressful day the whole week. I broke down several times that day, all the while trying to be there for my parents and trying to help them out.

I left Saturday and got home around 10pm.

Then on Sunday, to de-stress and to get ready for my tournament this weekend coming up, I played golf with Tony. I love to be outdoors, sweat, get exercise, feel the sun on my skin, absorb nature, and also playing golf helps my pool stroke.

Until Next Time.... hopefully I will have good news from Austin. Let's see, what should my goal be? Focus, stay down, don't move, be mentally strong, hmm.... I'll have to think about it. I haven't played in the Texas Open in a few years, but I am playing okay - but there may not be a lot of player's and the ones that play will be good. I am playing in it to test my mental game.

No comments: