Friday, August 31, 2018

Lessons From Another

Back when I lived in Jacksonville, FL about 19 years ago (man, where does the time go?), I was at The Players Championship, one of the four major tournaments in golf.  It's held at Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, at Sawgrass, which isn't that far from Jacksonville. If you can't picture the golf course, you'll prolly recognize the famous 17th hole:


As my boyfriend and I were walking around through the dense crowd, he sees someone he knows.  We barely have time to chat because of the moving crowd but he quickly introduces me and then shares, "This is the guy who gave me those golf lessons."  Being the nice girlfriend I am, I engage with him and compliment him, even as we are whisked away in separate crowds, kinda shouting, "Nice to meet you!  He said he loved the video you did of him - really helped his swing!"

My boyfriend then tells me when, "omg, that wasn't THAT instructor, that was a different instructor.  Now he knows I got lessons from someone else and I like the other guys' style."

Opps.

My bad.

I have mentioned in my blog I have given lessons myself (on pool, not golf) and been doing so for several years.  Well, something similar happened to me the other day.

One of my past clients got lessons from someone else.  My opinion is the guy who was giving the lesson and I are about equal in the knowledge of strategy and so I was curious how the lesson went, wondering about his teaching style compared to mine.  You all know me, I like to learn, too!  My past clients' response was, "It was similar, but it was like you set me up for higher learning!"

OUCH.

I let it sting for a couple weeks (kidding, it didn't hurt, lol) and I was able to ask again about the difference.  They said again it was very similar, about strategy.

Hmm.... but I prodded, as I sensed it was a tad different type of lesson.  Like I said, I'm all about learning too, so I was interested in what would help me when I give future lessons.  They then shared it had been a while since I gave them a lesson, and so with this guy it was like a refresher lesson.

Then they finally added that he was teaching English.  Ahhhh!  That was the difference!  Yes, I only teach strategy and not how to shoot a ball or English.

I want for all my clients and friends to get better lessons and learn so much more than I can offer!  It's all about improving our game to the highest potential.  So yes, factoring in he was teaching not just strategy but also English and shot making, oh yes, that's definitely a higher level!

I felt like that instructor we saw briefly at The Players Championship. lol.  Ouch!

No comments: