Friday, July 10, 2015

Complaints to a TD

As a Tournament Director,  I'm put in a position of leadership, really.   I deal with a lot of million things, but the most important are the players and pool room owners.

And with competition, comes emotions.

And that creates a side of players that are normally not seen, except in the heat of the battle, and sometimes only to the TD.

I get to hear all kinds of complaints, but I'm personally not complaining at all.  Because it comes with the job.  It's actually on the job description!  Lol

Anyone that is a TD knows this.

The catch is how we react.  How we respond.  How we empathize.  And recognize that sometimes the emotions we are on the receiving end of are because they just lost a crucial match, or something really just pissed them off, etc.

IMO,  it's a crucial part of the job to be able to handle venting.

And being an active listener,  showing empathy,  being fair, not overeating, etc are all key parts to listening to the complaints, moaning, and whining.

I feel I am very good during the Omega Billiards Tour events at listening and not judging; being an active leader; understanding;  showing empathy;  etc.

All the while I can't let the players walk all over me, tho.  I must defend myself at times, most times tho I let them vent.

I've been on the receiving end of a lot of bad emotions and venting, and I simply realize the player is upset because they lost.  I don't take their comments personally, either.  Sure, I'll get upset sometimes because that's a normal reaction to getting "chewed on," but most the time I'm very aware of our invisible roles.

I have learned through 10 years running the OB Cues Ladies Tour and 3 1/2 years running the Omega Billiards Tour that emotions are suppose to run high after and during matches, and sometimes the TD is the person the players vent to.

Part of the job!  Doesn't bother me at all.

No comments: