Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Texas Open 2013

For the first time in 23 years in a row (at least), I didn't go to the Texas Open.   

Which was held last weekend, Labor Day weekend, in Round Rock, Texas (just a smidgen North of Austin, Texas).

I had planned on going.  Brian paid our entry fees in July, I made hotel reservations in June; we were ready! 

But, the weekend before, Brian and I discussed if we should really go or not.  We were short on funds and he could work on Saturday.  Crazy as it sounds, I was kinda getting excited at the thought of being home for three full days to rest, instead of in a hot, smokey, no-where to sit pool room.  

Don't get me wrong, going to the Texas Open or playing in the Texas Open is an amazing experience!  I highly recommend doing this AT LEAST once in your life if you have never been.  It truly is a great tournament, filled with awesome matches, pro pool players, huge fans, and great friends and people.  



One little tidbit, almost $14,500 was bid on the first 5 players in the caluctta.  Only 123 more players to go after that!

I feel pretty good about my decision, though; because I HAVE been there before.  Like I said, at least 23 times.

And, I found that I didn't miss playing in it at all.  I didn't miss the late nights or long waits, either.  I know how the tourney goes and it's tough on the body, I admit.

I'm not a spring chicken anymore, but more so, being low on funds makes for a not-so-fun event anyway. 

And, with the high-caliber players in the tourneys (both men's division and women's side), I felt pretty confident I wouldn't get in the money deep enough to even pay the hotel bill.  I have a lot of faith in Brian's ability and talent, but it really is a stock-piled tourney with 128 players.  Even only 25th place out of 128 players paid $125.  

I have to say that I normally don't think of making up costs and just try to have fun, but sometimes responsibilities can get in the way of that, lol.  

And that's okay.  It's life!

So, I stayed home, did yard work, finally did ALL the laundry, laid out in the sun, worked around the house, napped, rested, cooked some home cooked meals.  It felt great to be at home.  I hadn't felt like I had been at home on a weekend since before BCAPL Nationals!  There has always been something to do or somewhere to go.

It was nice.  :)


No comments: