Friday, September 6, 2013

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover

I walked in our home pool room last night, where my women's team plays out of, and I was the first of my teammates to arrive.

I walk in about 30 minutes early, and 3 members of our opposing team were already there, warming up.

I had never seen them before.

One of the ladies on the team says as I walk by, "I recognize you, your Melinda Bailey" in a really sweet, friendly voice.

I smiled and said, "oh?" as I put down my cue case and purse on an adjoining table.

She adds, "I see your picture on Facebook a lot."

I walk up to her and shake her hand, "Hi.  What's your name?"

She shares her name and I say, "Oh, Hi!  Welcome to the league!" recognizing her name from the roster and that they are new.

Then she adds, "I think I'm the oldest player on this league."

I didn't really know what to say to that and so I mumbled, "you think?"

And then she shockingly said, "I used to be on this league years ago, but I haven't been on it the last few years.  While I was in jail."

At this point, I REALLY don't know what to say, and kinda smile, shake my head slightly with confusion, and now I don't even recall what I replied because I was so shocked.  Was she joking?  Being funny?  Telling the truth?

I walk away and I overhear her teammate tell her, "You don't have to tell people that."

OMG it was true!!

I was shocked!  She's as old as my Grandma, and she just got out of jail?  Dang, what did she do??

No, I am not judging her at all, because I know plenty of people who were in jail and they are as nice as can be, but I did wonder what for.  I felt bad for her that she had to be in jail and missed out on pool, friends, and seeing family.  :(

As the night progressed, my teammates who have been on this league much, much longer than I joked with her a lot and it was obvious they knew her already. 

I whispered to a teammate, "you know her?"

"Yea, she is really cool and sweet.  I think she went to jail for tickets for a while so she hasn't played in a few years." 

I reply, "For tickets?  That's crazy."

She was such a sweet lady, I felt bad she had been in jail, but so glad she's on our league now!  Bring some colorfulness, friendliness, and warmth to the league with her bright attitude and awesome smile!


No comments: