Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Shark Infested Waters

The other night, my boyfriend (Brian) was gambling in a match.  He has played his opponent many times, so we felt comfortable with the "atmosphere."

One of the railbirds (JB) wanted to side bet, which was unusual for this guy because he never has money to bet.  But, Brian of course said yes because he wants the action. So, he's playing $50 sets, and betting $50 on the side with JB.

We lose the first set, and we play again (btw, even though Brian is the one playing and doing all the work, lol, we are both in on the bet, so I am going to use the word "we" lol.)

We win the next set, so we are even, so of course they play again.

At this point, Brian asks his opponent if he wants to raise the bet and he is told no.  So, $50 sets again it is.

JB runs up to Brian and asks him if he wants to bet $100 on the side (instead of $50).  Brian responds defiantly, "yes." 

We lose that set and so we are down $50 on the set and $100 on the side.

Flip it.

We play another set. 

Brian asks his opponent again to raise the bet and again his opponent says no.  We are both surprised, as he normally bets more than $50.  With my boyfriend acting perturbed, his opponent finally admits, "I'm being backed by JB."

What??  JB never has money!

So, Brian goes over to JB and asks if they can bet $100 on the set "and stop being a nit" (or something like that).  JB says no and Brian gets perturbed again.

They are about to flip for the next set and JB comes rushing up to to Brian and finally says, "Okay, we will bet $100 in the middle and $100 on the side."

Sheesh.  Finally.

So, if we lose this set, we owe $350 total - $150 to the opponent and $200 for the side bets. If we win this set, we earn $50.

After we find out JB is backing Brian's opponent, JB is cheering and more verbal all of a sudden.  He's also talking to me; which I really don't like when Brian is playing.

I finally get our things and move to the OTHER end of the table - way away from JB. Away from all the verbalness that is distracting us.  

Brian tells me, "Thank you" and immediately we both feel more comfortable being away from the "collusion."

Brian and I are now able to sit more comfy next to each other and also not hear JB being the cheerleader.

Now, being a cheerleader is fine, esp from the backer, but it was annoying and I'll be honest, I could tell it was downright sharking.

That's what JB does.

Does it well, I'm afraid.

As a matter of fact, JB barked at me across the table as Brian is shooting, "want to play some one pocket?"

Really, Dude?  "I've told you 100 million times /slight exaggeration/ that I like to watch my man when he plays."  Deliberately saying the word "man" to his stupid question.


Brian was down 4-2 in the race to 5 but all of a sudden got on fire and they went hill-hill.  Then they played "win by 2" and Brian won the next two games with confidence and good play to win that set at 3:30 in the morning.

We win the $50 (pretty crucial to win that $50 instead of being down $350 total, lol).  And they flip again.

They play one more set for $50, and JB now doesn't want to side bet anymore all of a sudden! 

Brian loses but we are now completely even and so we decide to quit since it's 4:30am.

I am tired of dealing with JBs' antics.  I didn't go into all the details so I know it doesn't make sense why I got so annoyed with JB this night, but suffice it to say I just don't want anything to do with him anymore.  Brian and I just want to play pool.  No mind games, no sharking.... just pool.

I know that's tough to ask for in gambling, but JB makes it very difficult to just play pool. 


No comments: