Friday, July 13, 2012

Killer Instinct Tips

Last week someone posed on AZBilliards.com forums a great question about the killer instinct.

"For those that weren't killers, how did you develop your Killer Instinct?"

I submitted the below tips and thought I should share them in my blog, too.  If any one of these helps one person, I'll be happy!  

This is a compilation of things that have helped me over the year.  I definitely did NOT have the killer instinct, and of course I still work on that aspect as I have my moments of letting up still.

1. Always keep learning. Read books and articles, listen to advice, watch videos, practice. Don't just read about pool, read about mental toughness, read some tennis books, listen to the golf announcers, etc.

2. Play in as many tournaments as you can. And the real tough ones, too. The more you play, the more experience you gain. Every single time you compete in a tournament, you learn something new. Every time! Whether you get more experience about pressure, or test your composure, or more experiences how to fight back when you're down, whatever.

3. Attitude about your opponents is key. I asked Liz Ford once about a comment she made in Billiards Digest. She shared with me that Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert (a tennis player) helped her, and suggested I read it, too. After I read the book, I swear my I gained a killer instinct. I never had it before. I want to win more than ever after reading that book. And I reread it all the time. :)  I posted her longer response here in my blog. I found her comments very enlightening!

4. Again attitude is important. There are two women on the OB Cues Ladies Tour that exude major confidence during their matches, and they are extremely successful players on the tour. I recently interviewed them because I wanted to learn about their killer instinct and their attitude during competition. If I emulate them while competing, I play better. If I reread the blog entry before my tourneys, I play better. It's a great reminder for me to refresh myself about how mentally strong competitor think.

5. Fundamentals are KEY. Mental toughness is most of the part of competition, but fundamentals are the most important part of the physical game. At least, it has been for me.

Many other pool enthusiasts replied to his question, also.  Check out all the other suggestions here!

No comments: