Sunday, May 6, 2012

Team League Surprises

This year was like every year for me regarding my league preferences:  I try to find a league to play on to qualify my women's team for BCAPL State in April and Nationals in May, and to qualify myself and a partner for scotch doubles.  I don't like to play league to help others out, or to spend my nights in rusty bars for no purpose, nor do I like to drive over an hour to play in leagues.  Did I mention I don't like traveling leagues either?  lol.

Therefore, my goal is simple:  One league to qualify for State and Vegas.

While playing in only one league may seem very selfish, it took Oprah 40 years to finally say "no" (lol) and I am at that point.  I simply can't stay out late every night to help others like I used to.  And I was grumpy as I drove too far during the week for several leagues that didn't have good end of season money, or big tourneys to play in.

Well, this year there were A LOT of surprises!

First, something crazy happened this year:  I enjoyed my team SO much!  The co-captain for my women's team (JennyPav or "FunBus" (what I like to call her)), found us a team and league that all our female players could qualify for Vegas on.  It was a guy's team and they were looking for players, and they welcomed us 5 chicks with open arms (and also my b/f plays who is a really good player).  I didn't know any of the team members, and I was just going through the motions to reach our goal:  qualify our ladies for State and Vegas.

BUT, I had SO much fun with this team!  I laughed more this season than I have in years playing league!  We would spend 3 hours together every other Sunday afternoon (roughly) for six months or more, and they guys were a lot of fun and so enjoyable to be around.

My b/f is already very funny, but the other guys were also very humorous.  They would all make fun of each other and we laughed and had so much fun while kicking A$$.  It was a very pleasant surprise and I will actually miss them the next couple of months while the league is on hiatus.  :(

The hours on Sunday allowed for all ten of us to get to know each other better and we all have a greater respect for each others game, and also keep having fun every where we might meet up.  The league family extends to the wives, too, and I have enjoyed my new friendships!


While this was a traveling league, I still didn't mind because the team members always made me laugh and kept  me entertained.  I actually looked forward going to league; which hasn't happened in years.

The other surprise tho, were the payouts.  When I first joined, I was asked how I felt about the playoffs.  "We want you and your b/f to play in the playoffs of the league because you both are top shooters, but do you agree that only the players of the team who play in the playoffs should get paid for that tourney?"

"Of course," I replied.  Well, that was obvious. 

But later on in the season (around when we find out about the playoff dates) I find out that there is no end of season team money.  Only money from the playoffs.

Uh, do what?? 

So, I pretty much agreed that the 6 players who would play in the playoffs, would get money (if we placed well, which we should) and the other 4 would not get money.  I was upset about how all this would end up, but agreed to this at the beginning of the year, so I was kinda stuck. 

If I would have known that the end-of-season tourney was the only way the team made money, I don't now if I would agree to that again.  All TEN of us helped us make it to the top three in our division.  All TEN of us helped us get a bye the first weekend of the playoffs.  And now, those 4 wont get any money, because they aren't playing in the payoffs.  Really?  :(
To top it off, one of the teammates helped secure one of the weekends so it didn't conflict with a big women's stop.  And yet, she wasn't one of the ones who would play with us in the playoffs.  It was all very unfortunate and very unexpected from my point of view.

We placed 4th (or 5th) in the playoffs and the 6 of us each receive $142. 

Then, my b/f and I go to the king/queen of the hill end of season tourney where they gave out awards, monies, top shooter things, etc.  None of the 4 team members who didn't play in the playoffs came.  I don't blame them.  Why show up?  I think many had other plans for the weekend and they didn't deliberately decide not to come, but it still bothered me.




Then, surprise number 3 happened!  Turns out it was true that the team got paid via how we placed in the playoffs, BUT, I found out that each team member received $1 for every win during the SEASON!  Therefore, all teammates DID indeed get money!  Although it was from the range of $30 to $80, each team member did get cash!  Heck, I've been on most league teams that are usually in last place (or close) and have literally deposited a check for $2.50 before, lol.  So, a dollar win for 8 weeks played wasn't too shabby at all and was better than nothing like I thought for sure!

Not sure what we are gonna do next year.  Depends on how the ladies team does in Vegas (if we place too high, we can't play in the Open), how the team members do individually (we all play well enough to move our rankings), etc.  I would love to be on the same Sunday team with the fun guys again, but many of the players "want their Sunday's back" so we may have to look at other alternatives.

Still, BEST season yet of league!  I love laughing and sure needed it the last 8 months.

No comments: