Sunday, April 22, 2012

King/Queen of the Hill Tourney

I decided to stay in town this weekend instead of traveling over 5 hours for the OB Cues Ladies Tour stop, as I was exhausted just *thinking* about the long drive.  After playing pool for 5 1/2 days last week, I was taxed anyway.

In town was my leagues' end-of-season tourney.  I normally don't play in end of season tourneys, as playing against all the guys in any of the leagues I've ever played in, is truly just a donation of money.

However, this league is entitled King/Queen of the Hill, and the League Operator told me if they had more then 8 or 6 females, he would hold a separate tourney for us.

Counting out the team money 

Our Team somehow was voted Best Sportsmanship

Ensuring the team money is correct, lol

So yesterday, after the hour it took to hand out the end of season trophies and monies, and then another hour (or more) for the calcutta, then the draw took 30 minutes, I finally find out only 5 women showed up and we have to play against the guys. 

OMG, Really?!

We don't even have a separate calcutta and I am miffed because the TD tells me he will pay "Last Lady" but he doesn't know how much.

So, the $70 (total) that were bid on the 5 females, if that didn't go to the LL, I already threatened my team I would have some choice words for the League Operator.  I didn't think it was fair at all.  People are buying us and we honestly don't have a chance to get anywhere near the calcutta payouts. 

I tell my b/f not to buy me in the calcutta, don't waste his money, but a friend gets me for $10.  My b/f buys my half (I'm not interested, never am).

Three of the five women play the first round, two get a bye.  If I don't win my first match, I'm already behind for the chance to get LL.  Not knowing how much money the LL will get doesn't matter to me at this point, I still would love to get LL.

I play right away, and in the middle of the room of 7 bar tables, in front of a million eyes (yep, a MILLION!).  No where to sit, I fight constantly for the lone chair I'm trying to keep for my match (I'm a sitter when I don't shoot, and get agitated if I have to stand).

I am super nervous but playing smart.  My opponent wont run out unless all his balls are open, and I happen to play the same way, so it's a long race to 3.  I am extremely nervous but I recall from last weekend to stroke more than usual when I'm nervous, and it really, really helped.  Even though I can barely contain my breathing while down on the shots because I'm so nervous, at least I'm not two-stroking and dogging shots.  I play surprisingly good for how bad my nerves are, and smart too, and I win 3-0!  (I hear the guy forfeited after I beat him.)

My next match, I even MORE nervous.  I am shaking so badly, I swear people can see my back arm shaking as I'm down on my shots.  My adrenaline is on fire, my nerves are running rapid, and I'm literally shaking!  I don't know why.  I mean, sure, there are A LOT of people watching, but let's face it: my opponent was under the pressure; I had no pressure.  He had the pressure that he might get beat by a GIRL.  If I lost, he was a good player and should beat me.  So, not sure why I was literally shaking like a leaf on a tree during a hurricane.

The guy makes a mistake in the first game, and I run out 5 balls.  I hit the balls good somehow, stroking more than usual because I'm so nervous (LOVE this new tip I'm incorporating in my game).  He wins the next game but a miss in the 3rd game and I run out again.  I still don't feel relaxed, and only more nervous.  The only thing that even makes me smile is he keeps hording the only piece of chalk (my chalk, ironically) that is on the table and I have to keep asking him for it, as he apologies in Spanish every time.

I break dry, he runs out and ties it 2-2, i.e. hill hill.  He gets bad shape on his run out, and I play good safes a few times and am in control of this final table in our match.  He barely nicks his ball, tho, on my last safe, and then I have to kick safe back!  It double kisses and leaves him a shot before the 8.  :(  I lose, and am bummed, but happy because I played good.  Weird feeling. 

And lots of people compliment me on how well I play.  :)

I was pulled aside and told that they are paying $70 to LL.  Thank GOD I don't have to make a scene, lol.  And very happy they made the right decision.  BUT, I'm also told they are paying $150 for LL in the Calcutta.  What??  Really?  WOW!  How cool is that!!

My next match seems like hours away, and then I lose 0-2.  :(  First lady out, because of the way the brackets are called out.  omg... so disappointed, after playing SO well on the winner's side... :(  

Then, one by one, each of the other females also lose and we ALL lose in the same round!  I can't believe it!  A tie breaker ensues!  Sure, it's 9/10pm at night, but who cares, I have a chance to get LL now!  It seemed two hours before I had no chance, now all of a sudden another chance arises.  I'm stoked!

We create an 8-man bracket and we draw #s.  I barely win my first match (it went hill-hill and the girl scratched weirdly on the 8abll).  But in the final match, I play SO solid, I surprise myself!  I win 2-0 and played SO great!  I was elated. :)  On the drive home, I was so excited and *knew* there was no way I was going to sleep anytime soon - I was too pumped up!

Although I don't get the Calcutta money, I did earn $70 and a cool little title, Queen of the Hill!  Seems so stupid to be all excited about winning a 5-person semi-tourney.  But, Queen of the Hill Tourney, my first one, my first win!

I honestly think I'm so excited because I played good in the finals, and I played good under unusual conditions early in the day.  If I would have won with unforced errors, or won playing badly, I wouldn't be so elated. 

Elated! 

Feels so awesome to play well.  :)

No comments: