Saturday, May 12, 2012

Timing and Good Shots

Sometimes timing is not our friend when we play pool.  If you lose a close match that you didn't play well in to begin with, it doesn't really matter who you see on the way out of the tourney room (where you go to sulk), you have to try and put your decent face on while in reality, you don't want to talk to anyone.  But being in a big tourney with a thousand players, you will run into people you know who want to say hi.  Or, if people know you from the internet, they want to say hi.  "Hi Trigger!"  So I stop and say hi and be nice.  It's an act, tho, after I lose a tough match.  If they happen to catch me after I win well, I will smile big and be more talkative. 

Timing is everything.

And the person just trying to say hi has no idea you might have just lost a tough match. They are just being friendly.  And I appreciate that.

However, during a match is another thing.

When I played my second 8ball match of the day on Monday at the ACS Nationals, I am down 2-1.  I won the first game beautifully, but the two wins my opponent earned are from a tough scratch by me and then a misshape by me.  She's at the table because I missed a tough shot, and she's on a run to clear the table. 

I'm sitting on the outside of the clothed table, instead of inside the "ring" next to the pool table.  A guy sits down and watches our match for just a minute and says to me, "What's the score?"

Really?  You are obviously here watching her (I presume) and I am about to be down 1-3 and you are asking me the score??

I barely look at him and respond sharply, "2-1, her."

I look back at her making more balls and he continues, "You're Melinda, right?"

I am perturbed.  And I'm in no mood to talk.  I'm in a very critical match, upset at myself, and this guy is bothering my concentration.  Now obviously, if I was winning, I *may* not be as perturbed, but I would still want to concentrate on my match.  But in this particular match, because I'm upset with myself for giving the games away and about to be down 1-3 in a race to 4, I'm really not in a talkative, friendly mood.

"Uh, yes, how do you know me?"

Not trying to be rude, but how do you know me?  AZB forums?  From Texas?  A friend?

He says, "I know Sophie and Kawania and you double dipped Kawania in the finals of the ACS Texas State. I'm from San Antonio."

"Oh, hi.  What is your name?"  I ask.

He tells me and then I turn back to the match to try to concentrate back on my game. 

He keeps talking to me, tho, and I am not happy about it.  I can't remember all that he said, because I was trying to focus on the game.

The girl gets out and it's my break.  On the way back, I sit down on the inside of the "ring" because I really don't want to be in a convo in the middle of my match.  While what he said sunk in, "I double dipped Kawania," I just wanted to focus on my fundamentals and get back into this race to 4.

I won a game and I'm inching closer. 

As I sit there while she breaks, I think to myself I need to apologize to this guy after the match for being quiet and rude.  I tell myself, "Even if you lose, you need to be the proper competitor and explain yourself and apologize, " even though if I lose I'm gonna want to leave the tourney room right away to vent to my b/f on the phone.

I win another game and tie the match up 3-3!

I try to run out but miss the 6 ball before the 8ball to get shape.  Ugh! 

She tries to runs out... but misses the 8ball!

She leaves me bad (i.e., good) lol.  I have to play safe or kick at my ball, but I don't see a good safe with her 8ball is hanging near a pocket. 

The "rule" is if the safe and the tough shot are about the same percentage-wise, then you are to go with the shot.  I would have to play an extremely soft, tricky safe to hope I hook her.  The other option, the kick, I know the 8ball makes the pocket bigger for my 6 ball.

I decide on the kick.

And I make it!!

I'm elated! 

The 6ball does indeed go off the 8ball, and so that little carom moves the 8ball up on the rail and now I have a backwards bank, but guess what?  That's one of my favorite shots.  :)


And I make it!!

I am so elated and excited, I went and quickly hugged the guy who was annoying me, lol.  I immediately sit down and apologize.  He said he understood, but I told him I just wasn't happy with myself and I was trying to concentrate.

He was cool about it.

He then took his cues out because we were on his table; turns out that's why he was sitting there:  his next match was on our table.  Duh!

I really hate that people bother me, but I try to be nice when I'm trying to concentrate in the middle of a match, but I admit it's not always easy for me to always be proper at all times. 

No comments: