Wednesday, April 25, 2012

TaxiCab Confessions

One more Vegas story.

Back in 1998-2000 (yes, THAT long ago), I was living in Florida and had left all my Texas friends.  :(  I loved being ten minutes from the beautiful Atlantic Coast, tho.  :)  I lived in Florida for 1 1/2 years for my job, before another promotion moved me back in Texas in 2000.

In 1999, I traveled to the BCAPL Nationals, as I had been my routine for the previous 5 years.  I was very excited to see all of my friends from Texas (and around the U.S.) during that tourney.

As I came down the escalator at the Las Vegas airport for baggage claim carousel number 5, excited about being in my favorite city, I was shocked to see one of my Texas girlfriends standing at the bottom of the escalator to surprise me!  She had taken a cab from the hotel to surprise me and meet me AT the airport!

It was SO very very awesome of her.  :)

We get my bags, stand in the LONG taxi cab line.  It takes over 15 minutes to get through the long line, but it's okay because we get to chat and catch up.  :)  Then finally, it's our turn at the front of the line.

We get into the cab and all of a sudden the taxi cab driver says, "How was your trip from Florida?"

WTH?

I look up and I'm like, how did he know that?

Then my girlfriend starts busting out laughing in disbelief!

This was the SAME taxi cab driver that had dropped her off an hour a go!  She told him on the way to the airport she was surprising a friend who was flying in from Florida, and then we get the SAME guy!


It was AMAZING of all the cabs in the cab-infested city of Las Vegas that we would get the same driver an hour apart!  What are the odds??

Seriously, think about this for a minute:

They guy picks up my friend at The Riviera, drives her to the airport, drops her off.  He then drives to the taxi waiting area, so he can be in line to pick up a a fair FROM the airport.  He waits in the long line (probably over 40 cabs in front of him), finally gets to the taxicab line stand, and of all the people in the line (there were about 60 in front of us), we are paired with the SAME guy who dropped her off about an hour ago!

Amazing!

No comments: