Friday, April 6, 2012

Blast From the Past - Questions for the WPBA Pros

My friend Shayla and I maintained the Hunter Classics Tour website way back in 2000 (yes, the Internet was around then, lol).  The two board members that ran this ladies tour in Texas (and surrounding states) back then also played on the WBPA tour, so we had an avenue to ask the female pro players questions, and then post the answers on the website.  I looked for that Q & A ten+ old webpage the other day... and finally found it for you all!

Remember, these answers are more than ten years old, but still applicable to today and fun to read today.  :)

What keeps you motivated when/if you feel like you aren't playing your best game?
Allison Fisher: That's a very good question. I have to have the desire to maintain what I've already achieved. I try to play my best every game, especially in close matches. I have to find the fine line in practice because over practicing staunches my motivation -- I need to go out there wanting to play. Under practicing undermines my confidence. Each person has to find their practice time so they can be excited about competing in a match. I love the competitive edge that a tournament gives me. If I just practiced and didn't play in tournaments I wouldn't be motivated at all. And to those of you who say "I'm not good enough to play in a tournament" -- well, you have to get as much tournament experience as you can -- you're going to learn from playing in tournaments.

As an aside -- I watched Allison play in a match she was ahead at 5-2 when she took a shot on an 8-ball and got mediocre shape on the 9 ball. I could see the disappointment on her face which turned to annoyance at herself and then changed to determination. I could see that she was not happy with her shape and that she knew she played better than that. After that game (she won it) she went out there and started playing perfect shape on every single ball after that.

Now, that's motivation! Her opponent did not win another game.

Allison Fisher

What type of cue do you use and how long have you used it?
Linda Haywood -- Tim Scruggs
Aileen Pippen -- Meucci. I've used it since I started playing 8 years ago.
Mauro Seto -- Cognoscenti. I've used it for 1 1/2 years.
Vicki Paski -- Huebler cue and Palmer break cue.
Shari Stauch -- she uses all types of cues, depending on her mood and dress.

When you break, do you use the same cue that you shoot with? If not, why not?
Nikki Benish (has one of the biggest breaks on tour and sponsored on the tour by Cuetec): I use a Cuetec break/jump cue. It saves my shooting cue from the stress created by the break shot. My break cue has a flatter tip which is good for breaking and for jumping. My regular cue has a rounder tip which is better for drawing and English.

What do you eat, when do you eat or DO you eat during tournament play?
Dawn Hopkins: "2 hours out. For me it is very important because I have to monitor my blood sugar level. I eat protein, rice, pasta. No sugar and no caffeine."
Gerda Hofstatter: "2-3 hours before match, I eat light"
Jeanette Lee: "3 ½ hours ahead of match, I eat chicken and pasta. I eat only foods that are easy to digest."
Neslie O'Hare: "2 hours out, I eat protein."
Mary Guarino: "I eat light, soup usually, then I pig out after the match."
Robin Dodson: "2 hours out, I eat a chicken sandwich."
Aileen Pippin: 1 ½ hours before match I eat very light, no grease. Usually rice or vegetables.
Belinda Campos: "No food, unless it's a bagel."
Ewa Mataya Laurance: "3 hours before match, I eat pasta."
Nikki Benish: "Nothing"
Laura Smith: "No food, no caffeine. On a long day, I will eat a little, but very light."
Helena Thornfeldt: "2-3 hours before match, I eat vegetables or pasta. No meat"
Jennifer Chen: "1 hour before match. I don't care what I eat, but I do not eat before my first match ever."
Loree Jon Jones: "2-3 hours before match, I eat chicken or pasta"
Maureen Seto: "2 hours before match. Just no grease"

 Jeannette Lee

Why do you break from the corner instead of from the center, or do you?
Allison Fisher: "I can rest my hand on the rail and I get more power."
Vivian Villarreal: "I have changed to the center to get more cue ball control."
Dawn Hopkins: "It varies-but the side break is for making the the one ball in the side or the corner. I move to the center to control the cue ball."
Gerda Hofstatter: "I get more power because I can rest my hand on the rail, but I am practicing now breaking from the center."
Jeannette Lee: "From the corner you have the best chance of making the one ball in the side and banking the end ball in the corner."
Neslie O'Hare: "I break from the center, because I have been playing in men's events and the corner break is prohibited."
Belinda Campos: "Today's equipment, napless cloth makes the side more effective, if you can control the cue ball."
Ewa Mataya Laurance: "I don't break from the corner, I break more toward the center."
Nikki Benish: "More action on the cue ball, but control requires as much practice as you do for very difficult shots."
Laura Smith: "Power."
Mary Guarino: " It depends on how balls are moving. It is easier to make the corner ball from the side. I start from the center and then move out if I have control of the cue ball."
Robin Dodson: "I break closer to the center, it it varies. If I can't control the cue ball, I move more to the center."
Aileen Pippin: "I break from the center"
Helena Thornfeldt: " Easier to control cue ball"
Jennifer Chen: "I break from the center for control and from the side for power:
Loree Jon Jones: "I just get a better break."
Maureen Seto: "I do both, if one isn't working I try the other. Different tables have different sweet spots."

Vivian Villarreal

To Allison, Ewa & Loree Jon, How would you like to be best remembered, on or off the table?
Allison Fisher: "As a champion in all ways, not just as winner of matches. I want to be remembered as a true professional, as a person who always had time for the fans, for family and for friends. To be thought of a person of integrity in all aspects of my life."
Ewa Mataya Laurance: "Off the table, as Nicki's mother and Mitch's partner. With respect to pool, as a fighter as someone who never backed away from a challenge, who never gives up."
Loree Jon Jones: "I want to be remembered as a person who always placed my family first."


Photos copyright melindaswindow.com, Q and A copyright HunterClassics.com

1 comment:

Pool Cues said...

Thanks for sharing.