Thursday, September 8, 2011

Don't Judge

One of my friends was playing in a tournament this past weekend and in this particular match, she was playing a girl I will call "Classy."

And after my friend lost that tough match to Classy, someone comes up to her and says "You don't like your opponent, do you?"

It through my friend for a loop.

"What? What do you mean?"

They went on to say they could tell she didn't like Classy but they understood though, because Classy was "Snooty" anyway.

"What??", again was her astonished reply.

This person was telling my friend that Classy always walks around the table like she's better than everyone else and hardly talks to anyone in the pool room.

My friend immediately defended Classy.

"We are friends and she is super, super nice.  You should get to know her."  Then went on to explain she simply played bad, and she was upset at herself, not that she didn't like Classy.

When my friend told me about this exchange, I got upset.

I said, "How can they put you in such a bad spot?  Further, why say something so rude about someone they (obviously) don't know?!"

I told my friend I was so glad she defended our friend, Classy, and also reminded her that Classy was shy and that's why she comes across as "Snooty" to some people.  When I was in my 20s, I was very shy and people thought I was bitch, when in reality, I just wasn't social or talkative.  So I understand completely what Classy has to deal with.

While I didn't like what they said about Classy, I also VERY MUCH did not like the position my friend was put in by having to defend her.


I really don't think people realize that when they badmouth someone, or offer their two cents, what it does to the person they are speaking to.  It puts them in an uncomfortable position, which is really unfair to the person on the receiving end of the "opinions."

However, at the same time, I am GLAD they said something because my friend was able to share that indeed this "snooty girl" is one of THE nicest girls in pool and one of the dearest friends anyone could be lucky enough to have in their life.

Don't judge, people.  It looks really bad on you.

No comments: