Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Cueist Project: That Miss - Lesson 2, Perfect Shape

The Cueist recently had learning lessons from a crucial miss. I will share each lesson in separate blog posts.

Today we will talk about Lesson #2: Trying to get perfect shape.

Here is the story:
I'm deep in a big state tournament. My opponent is spotting me 1 game and in a matter of about 10 mins, I'm down 4/1. I claw my way to being down only 5/3, and he misses his last ball. I only have 4balls on the table and I have the break on the hill game. Heck yeah, that's exactly what I wanted! I make my first ball, stop shot. Take a breath. 2nd ball, good shape. Take a breath. 3rd ball, had to go 2 rails for shape w/ inside English. Nail it and took a breath. Last ball before the 8 ball, and I have to draw it back off of the rail w/ outside English. Well, I didn't HAVE to do that, but that was going to get me perfect shape on the 8ball. I get down on the shot feeling a bit nervous and single stroked the shot, while chicken-winging it, and jumping up at the same time. Then took a breath. LOL. Cost me the match of course.
What is the second lesson?  

Trying to get perfect shape. 


Why do we need perfect shape?  Sometimes it's to show off.  You know what I am talking about!  We have all been through a similar scenario. For guys, maybe a cute girl is watching your match that you like and you want to impress her.  Or for gals, maybe some new guy is watching you play and you want to show off.  Or, for anyone, maybe a pro walks by your match and you notice they stop to watch. Who doesn't want to show off?

It's a natural thing - but remember, it can be costly. Being too confident is just as bad as not committing to a shot.  Both actions mean you are not focusing on your solid fundamentals and pre shot routine.

Cueist told me:
As I mentioned, all I had to do was make the ball and I'd have a makeable shot on the 8. But, I wanted to get perfect on the 8ball, which caused the side pocket to come into play. So I hit a drag draw shot with side spin, and it threw it out of the pocket.
You don't need perfect shape, and you don't need to impress anybody no matter how good they play! Everyone knew my opponent was probably one of the top 3 players in the building. I felt like I played good to come back, and tried to get cute w/ the cue ball. No need for that whatsoever. Just make the ball and stay in the match. Put yourself in a position to win.

He makes it all sound so easy, right?  But he's right!



No comments: