Monday, August 26, 2019

Cueist Project: That Miss - Lesson 1, Easy Shots

The Cueist recently had learning lessons from a crucial miss. I will share each lesson in separate blog posts.

Today we will talk about Lesson #1: Taking shots for granted.

Here is the story:
I'm deep in a big state tournament. My opponent is spotting me 1 game and in a matter of about 10 mins, I'm down 4/1. I claw my way to being down only 5/3, and he misses his last ball. I only have 4balls on the table and I have the break on the hill game. Heck yeah, that's exactly what I wanted! I make my first ball, stop shot. Take a breath. 2nd ball, good shape. Take a breath. 3rd ball, had to go 2 rails for shape w/ inside English. Nail it and took a breath. Last ball before the 8 ball, and I have to draw it back off of the rail w/ outside English. Well, I didn't HAVE to do that, but that was going to get me perfect shape on the 8ball. I get down on the shot feeling a bit nervous and single stroked the shot, while chicken-winging it, and jumping up at the same time. Then took a breath. LOL. Cost me the match of course.
Cueist added:
Prior to me missing that shot, I had to grind and stay in the match. And in that last game, I honestly thought he was out. Then all of a sudden, he missed. I never got nervous during the first couple of shots. I actually attribute the miss a few different things....

It was such as easy shot, that I took it for granted. I basically just had to make the last shot and not scratch anywhere on the table, and I'd be able to make the 8ball.

But, I took it for granted.
I think we can all relate to this. We bear down on the tough shots, right? Stroke a little more, breathe a little more, stay down. But here comes the easy ones and we two-stoke it, or don't stay down, or rush it. What the @#%#&%&**(&!

I once watched a one pocket match for $5 a game 15 years ago against two guys in their 60s. I was SO surprised when one guy would stroke the ball 4-5 times on straight-in stop shots. I was like, "What the hell is he doing?"

He was giving each shot the courtesy and time that it deserved. He had enough years of experience under his belt to know that even the easy shots could be missed and cost him money. He took his time and was intentional in his efforts, intentional on every single shot - even the easy ones. And, it helped him!

The point is, we all at times rush our shots, but more so ESPECIALLY in the heat of the moment and under pressure. That's why it's so key to get your pre shot routine down!

So, be wary of the easy shots!

Now, Cueist plays good and has a solid pre shot routine, but you will find out in the upcoming learning experiences there were other things going on that impacted that damn easy miss, errr, that shot,

(yes, you have to wait some more, lol)





No comments: